Stocking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsbrawley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am trying to map out a stocking plan for my 55 gallon tank (48x12x21). This is what I have so far:

10 Sterbia Cory
12 Black Neon Tetra
10 Bleeding Heart or Diamond Tetra
1 Swordtail [Male]
1 Guppy [Male]
1 Pearl Gourami
And a decent RCS colony

I'm looking to add another type of non-schooling fish (a pair or an individual). I initially was thinking the German Blue Rams, but was told they are very delicate, and like higher temps....something the rest of the tank doesn't. Anyone have a suggestion as to a possible addition to the tank?

Additionally, any info on Diamond's versus Bleeding Hearts would be awesome.

The Bleeding Heart Tetra likes slightly cooler temps (low to upper 70s) while the diamonds prefer mid 70s to 80s. In my opinion, I personally love the diamond tetras and the way they sparkle. Though by the fish you listed you I think the bleeding heart would be a nice pop of color as well.

If I had to choose I'd probably go with the Diamond tetras!

I agree on the diamonds. I'd seriously consider subing out the BLK Neons for penguins or adding a few albino black neons to the group.

Swords and guppies do best with more of the same species but if you would like a top dweller look into killifish or halfbeaks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Put a blue ram in my 29 living happily with 3 buenos ares tetras (which are nuts) 5 head and tail lights and a male dwarf gourami. The ram is a female. She gets right in there, flexes her fins stays out in the open. Everybody's happy

Put a blue ram in my 29 living happily with 3 buenos ares tetras (which are nuts) 5 head and tail lights and a male dwarf gourami. The ram is a female. She gets right in there, flexes her fins stays out in the open. Everybody's happy

But rams are not the best fish for newer fish keepers and such

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Frequent water changes. Keeping water chemistry right. So far so good. It's very zen

I think you have a good stock base to work from...just double check all the temperature compatability...but don't expect a massive RCS colony. Tetras and gouramis will pick off smaller shrimp so whatever you get should be adult size and have tons of hidey holes. I'm not sure if they're safe as adults with gouramis as I'm not as well versed on labrynth fish but babies would definitely be at risk.
So nice to see stocking plans with proper groups! :) good luck

Back
Top Bottom