Stocking for a 20g vs a 16g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

td3025

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so I have a tall 16g tank with LED lights and a lid, and then I also have a 20 long with no lids or light or anything except a filter.

I'm trying to decide which one I want to set up for a new freshwater tank. My question is...is there really any fish that can thrive in a 20g that can't in a 16? Like will the 4 gallons make or break what fish I can add to the tanks?? That's the only thing stopping me from deciding to definitely go with the 16g since it already has the lighting and the hood and all that. If i go with the 20 I'll of course go out and buy the lights and the lid, but idk if it's worth the extra money if my stocking choices are pretty much the same as the 16.

Let me know any ideas of what I can put in a 20 that I can't put in a 16 if you can think of some!!! Thank you for your tips :)

There's not really much difference between the two in regards to type of fish you can keep. However the extra 4 gals will allow you to keep a few extra fish and the extra volume would help in maintaining better water quality.

I think it depends on a lot of what you want out of the tank. The Surface area is different, also some fish like to have more horizontal swiming area.
What are the plans for the tank?
Mixed community tank
Single species
Planted or not

Some opinions are there are some fish that should not go in anything smaller than 20 gallons.

I personally love my 20 long.
I also am about to set up a 15g hex and a 5.5 g bowfront. Both planted. One for shrimps and the other for micro fish school. Like small tetras and/or rasboras. I haven't decided yet.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom