stocking fw 29 gal peaceful community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Any ideas?

29g freshwater tank, it's my first planted tank! Cabomba, water wisteria, java fern, java moss, red ludwigia. The plants haven't filled in yet, it's only been a few weeks since I purchased them. Low light low tech.

Light, natural colored pea gravel is the substrate.

I'm a busy student so I hope the plants can help me keep my water nice for the fish :)

I've done lots of research, been keeping nano tanks for 5 years. I'm not confident enough to tackle more sensitive fish than the usual beginner's stock; I also don't want to spend money on fish I may lose!

Current fish: 2 female platies, one yellow and one red wag. 10 Endler's livebearers, yellow and black. A few RCS from my colony. a couple snails.

My thoughts:
I have tried neon tetras and have given up on them! But I love their look!

I want to keep this peaceful.

A school of fish would look great; I have a lot of open space. A mid level swimmer would be ideal. I have thought of Cherry Barbs and Harlequin Rasboras.

I hope for a dash of blue somewhere in the tank.

Cories are a must :)

All suggestions would be very much appreciated! I don't like stocking tanks by myself; I love input!

gabysapha said:
Any ideas?

29g freshwater tank, it's my first planted tank! Cabomba, water wisteria, java fern, java moss, red ludwigia. The plants haven't filled in yet, it's only been a few weeks since I purchased them. Low light low tech.

Light, natural colored pea gravel is the substrate.

I'm a busy student so I hope the plants can help me keep my water nice for the fish :)

I've done lots of research, been keeping nano tanks for 5 years. I'm not confident enough to tackle more sensitive fish than the usual beginner's stock; I also don't want to spend money on fish I may lose!

Current fish: 2 female platies, one yellow and one red wag. 10 Endler's livebearers, yellow and black. A few RCS from my colony. a couple snails.

My thoughts:
I have tried neon tetras and have given up on them! But I love their look!

I want to keep this peaceful.

A school of fish would look great; I have a lot of open space. A mid level swimmer would be ideal. I have thought of Cherry Barbs and Harlequin Rasboras.

I hope for a dash of blue somewhere in the tank.

Cories are a must :)

All suggestions would be very much appreciated! I don't like stocking tanks by myself; I love input!

Yay I LOVE cories! (just look at my signature;)) how about some conchu blue tetras(Boehlkea fredcochui)? They're blue and schooling! Omg a combo! I have some peppered cories that I adore, juliis are great too, as are pandas, ember, and all the others! I would go for 8 of the tetras and 6-7 of the cories:).

Those could work, depending on whether you want the shrimp to breed or not.

My top choice would be galaxy rasboras (aka celestial pearl danios). If you want something cheaper checkerboard barbs could work too. I think they are under-appreciated because in stores they don't show their colors well.

I agree, a bunch of cories would be great. Juliis!!!

No I don't mean for the shrimp to breed in this large tank. I already have a colony tank.

By the way, the water in my area is very hard, 7.6+! I worry that fish like my first idea of Harlequin Rasboras may not adjust well :( I hope they can.

I LOVE the look of galaxy rasboras, but they are expensive and I can only find them online (with a shipping fee of course, bleh).

I would consider zebra danios but I find them nippy. My Endlers may get pissed off....

Most barbs are much hardier in hard water compared to tetras. It is always a good idea to check fishbase.org for accurate wild information, like max size, temp, natural water chem, etc.

Gaby if you do end up deciding to go with CPD (galaxy rasbora) let me know, one of my friends specializes in them and can give a decent price.

I'd go with panda or habrosus cories, the others will get large in time and look kind of awkward in smaller tanks.

I think that severum_mama has (had?) cochu's blue tetras in stock recently.

Back
Top Bottom