Stocking help for 15g column?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlover1995

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! First off I want to let everyone know how excited I am to be apart of this forum! now to the reason I joined. I have just had a move and had to give away my tank because it was to far to take it with. But now I have gotten a new tank! It is a 15 gallon column (Freshwater). I have no idea what fish to put in it, I would like to have a lot of color/patterns but I do not want any of the fish to be killing each other or grow to big. So I would love advice from people who are a bit more knowledgeable then me : ) here is my set up...
10502513_850254414999828_8862597992287713187_n.jpg
10524589_850254418333161_296871986218583726_n.jpg

Wow! What a beautiful bunch of fish! Do all these fish get along? *not saying I'll get every one! Just want to know I can mix and match without worry!*

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, and all of them (except for the BN pleco, the rainbows, and the rummynose) stay less than 2 inches. On those links you can see their temper, as well as size, tank params, and minimum tank size. The yellowfin rainbow says min is 20 gallons but 15 is fine.

Of course, rummynose tetras, celestial danios, and either types of rainbows like to be in groups. My suggestion for actual tank stock with these fish is:

5-7 Celestial Danios
1-2 BN Plecos*
2-3 of either type of rainbows
2-3 Sparkling Gouramis
1-3 Scarlet Badis, which these are the centerpeice.

Also a lot of stores sell ghost shrimp as feeder fish, but they can survive in most aquariums especially with these tank mates, as well as cherry shrimp or nerite snails.

*Note that if you put two males together that they WILL fight each other, and if you do a male and a female they may lay eggs which the male will defend, but two females would be just fine.

I've had a albino bristle nose pleco before and I absolutely loved him :) thank you for all that advice!

I think that tank is a little small for 2 bristlenose plecos.

I would recommend looking at oto's or nerite snails instead if you are look for algae control.

Scarlet Badis is a beautiful fish.

If I chose on getting one it would be only one considering this tank doesn't have much floor space

In this tank, I would skip the bnp. They are great fish, but so much poop! I suggest them for more like a 20g tank or more so you have more ability to keep more fish. Some alternative fish to look into that fill a similar role are otos, a rubberlip pleco, or pitbull plecos. Another option is amano shrimp. :)

A few other fish you can consider are ember tetras, Endler's, guppies, or platies.

You are a bit limited with the tank size because column tanks give more vertical space, while most fish need more horizontal space so you will probably have to stock it more like it a 10g. There are some amazing nano fish out there though!

Do you happen to know if you have a good lfs near you, or are you limited to chain store stock? Also, are you able to order online? If so, it really opens up your possibilities quite a bit. Cool nano fish are often a bit tough to find at your average store.

I'm new so I'm not sure what lfs means :) and I'm not able to order offline :( I recently moved to a new state but I'm hoping to find a locally owned aquatics store! I do not like buying fish from petco, petsmart or walmart. I'm sure they try to do what's best but I don't think they're always knowledgable enough so the fish often die or are sick

Lol, LFS stands for "Local Fish Store". And I agree, ordering fish off the internet is a pain because you never see what you order before you order it, and shipping costs a load. Just google "(Location/City name here) Fish Stores", that's how I found my favorite fish store. Also, you could check craigslist ads, or make one, and look for local breeders or people who are getting rid of tanks.

Oh! Thank you :) I just might have to do that

+1 on not buying from petco, petsmart, or wal-mart.
Literally every fish I bought from any of them died within a week. Every fish, plant, coral, shrimp or crab I own now I either got from my LFS (Which is Seachem Platinum Certified) or directly from the breeder.

I'll probably have to find a local breeder. I'm around the st. Louis area and I don't want to go into st. Louis to find a local store! Once I decide what I want to put in my tank.

LFS = local fish store. An alternative you will sometimes see is lps = local pet store. :)

So, first thing first, I suggest looking around at the stores around you. Honestly, I have had some very positive experiences with some branches of chain stores, it varies a lot by area. Even if that is all you have, just take a look at your local branches and see what they have and check out the quality of fish. Honestly, I prefer locally owned places as well, but I have some pretty excellent chains here, and at least one TERRIBLE locally owned mom and pop shop. So, just make sure that you do your own research before you go into a store so you can tell if you are being advised well or not. It sounds like that is exactly what you are doing, so I am sure you should be fine wherever you go. :)

A few more species to consider that are are more common are the honey gourami or the dwarf gourami. I personally really like the honey. There is also the option of a betta fish of course.

LFS = local fish store. An alternative you will sometimes see is lps = local pet store. :)

So, first thing first, I suggest looking around at the stores around you. Honestly, I have had some very positive experiences with some branches of chain stores, it varies a lot by area. Even if that is all you have, just take a look at your local branches and see what they have and check out the quality of fish. Honestly, I prefer locally owned places as well, but I have some pretty excellent chains here, and at least one TERRIBLE locally owned mom and pop shop. So, just make sure that you do your own research before you go into a store so you can tell if you are being advised well or not. It sounds like that is exactly what you are doing, so I am sure you should be fine wherever you go. :)

A few more species to consider that are are more common are the honey gourami or the dwarf gourami. I personally really like the honey. There is also the option of a betta fish of course.

Bettas are always a hit or miss though... some are nice and some will kill everything in it's weight category lol

Bettas are always a hit or miss though... some are nice and some will kill everything in it's weight category lol

I have NEVER had bettas just kill everything, or even kill anything for that matter. I do agree that it happens, but it seems more the exception than the norm when the tank is stocked properly with well chosen tankmates. Also, when the options are low, you can do a single betta with ghost shrimp and snails and have an amazing little tank. It is an option. I have also had very good luck with female bettas. They tend to be cheaper, are quite curious, and have loads of personality, so still worth a consideration. Another thing I personally really like about bettas is that if it doesn't work out in one tank, all you need it a pretty petite tank as a back-up for that fish.
I do totally agree with you though that they are hit or miss, I just think are mostly hits. Fish are individuals though.

I've found a local owned pet store but haven't visited it yet, probably will tomorrow! I used to live in colorado and there was a place called j&m aquatics and they were wonderful so I hope I can find a place just as good! I'll have to take a look at those fish :) It'll be interesting owning a new kind!

I think the dwarf gourami are very nice looking. How many would you get and what tank mates?

I think the dwarf gourami are very nice looking. How many would you get and what tank mates?

Only 1. They get territorial. They can be rather sensitive, but they are pretty. Make extra sure if this is what you want to get a good, healthy looking one. If you have a honey gourami as an option, I would aim at a honey over a dg with the dg as a back-up in case you can't find a honey. Up to you though, if you really like the dg, that is fine too.

For tankmates, any of the small nano-fish schoolers and otos would work.

What are the dimensions of this tank? Is it the 13.6"L x 13.8"W x 24.8"H tank?

Good luck scoping out the new store too! Going to a new place is always fun. :)

Back
Top Bottom