Stocking Question: Hard Water & High pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanguard7x7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone!

I've already learned a lot from lurking on this forum - I figured I'd actually participate.

I've had experience with keeping an aquarium in the past, but I did not always do things the "right way" regarding cycling and stocking my tank. It's been 6 years since I've had fish and I want to make sure I am doing everything correctly.

I have a 37 gallon tank that is almost done cycling. It is planted with some easy plants - 2 anubias, 2 java fern, some java moss, someanacharis, and some hornwort (which is growing like mad). Substrate is typical brown aquarium gravel.

Due to my location in Arizona and the condition of our tap water, I would like to stock the tank with fish that handle high pH and hard water well. I know many fish can adapt and tolerate such conditions, but I'd much rather have fish that prefer and thrive in them!

Any suggestions? I would like lots of color and activity in all areas of the tank. I'm thinking livebearers like platys or swordtails will work, but I'd like something else to go with them.

Hey, welcome back to the fish hobby! Cichlids are always a good choice for high pH lvl and color. Cichlids can be aggressive and if there are not enough hiding places, dig up your gravel to make one. Chances are at least one of them will dig up an area to make a hiding spot and uproot a plant.

Another option is adding drift wood or a pete filter to lower the pH levels. Hope this helps.

Brad McLaughlin
Tampa Bay Area

It's not always a good idea to have a planted tank with cichlids.

You can use RO/DI to get perfectly clear water with 0 TDS, then you can adjust the water to your liking...

Thanks for your responses!

I think cichlids might be a little advanced for me, as I am just starting out again. I'm not sure if there are any that would work for my size tank. I was actually considering some Bolivian Rams, but I've read that they prefer soft water.

As far as using RO/DI; I know the hobby requires some effort, but I'm not sure I'm willing to do that for each water change. We actually do that for our drinking water, but with a 37 gallon tank, it will be tough to manage all the water changes.

Are there any variety of rainbowfish our gourami that work with hard water?

2 fancy goldfish maybe? They may tear up the plants when they get bigger

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

Cichlids are very hardy and need little attention...rams are not. PH varies by.1 your rams are vulnerable. Mabye some annual fish like barbs. I have well water with a pH of 7.6, and with weekly water changes an my tank is fine. The only fish I was unable to keep were rams..who prefer a pH of 5.5. Don't fall for the pH lowering chemicals ad they will spike other levels in your tank...making frequent water changes more necessary. This is at least in my own personal opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom