Stupid question- How to use a python

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey. There is a question I've had for a long time but I've been afraid to ask it. What is the best way to clean gravel? I have a python for the 29 gallon tank, but when I try to vacuum the gravel it all goes up the tube and clumps there, and I have to pull the python out of the water to get the gravel out, and it then falls wherever in a big pile. Is that how its supposed to work? I keep having to stick the python back under and start over. Is there an easier way?

Also, how do I start the siphon for the five gallon tank? I have been trying to submerge the entire mini-python in the tank to get it going, and half the time I can't get it at all. Is there another way to start the suction, short of using your mouth (I love my fish, but I have to draw the line somewhere)

Finally, I have never vacuumed my planted tank. But I was doing a water change before and the crap stirred up from the gravel was disgusting! How do I handle that? Do I uproot the plants and replant them, do I just let the plants process the waste, or what? Siphoning around them is impossible, its just a five gallon.

I feel like a total idiot, but you guys have been so helpful in the past. Any tips? :oops:

On your 29, what kind of gravel is it that's getting sucked up? You can adjust the water flow on the sink slower, and that will give you less suction power.

When you say mini-python, do you mean a regular gravel vac? That's what I use in my 5 gallon tanks.To get the 5 gallon siphon started, make sure the bucket is below tank level. I's a good idea to clip the hose to the bucket. You can buy a bucket clip for this purpose. Submerge the vac part and some tubing (just enough to easily maneuver the vac) into the tank, filling the hard tubing with water, and then bring it up to the surface and above, holding it vertically so that the water begins to drain down. Just when the water begins flowing through the hard vac part and the first section of soft tubing, but before the vac part is emptied, lower the vac part again underwater quickly. The suction will not be broken and you'll begin to siphon. It may take a few times to practice.

An - Ti, thank you so much. I actually copied and pasted that post and saved it on my computer so I remember it for Wednesday when I do my next pwc. Where do you think I could get that clip?

And Neilah, I don't know how to attach my python to the sink. Do I have to buy a special attachment for that? The problem is, the kitchen is opposite the living room, a good twelve feet away. I'd need a super-long python. I wish I could do that- it is a pain in the a** carting fourteen gallons of water one gallon at a time from the faucet all the way across the hall to the tanks. I don't imagine they sell super-long tubing? :)

Oh, so you're talking about a standard gravel vaccuum then?

When people refer to a Python, they're talking about one of these.

Something you should definately consider if you're hauling 14 buckets. The shortest python is 25 feet, and you can get longer if you need it. It's a huge time saver, and a back-saver!

If you're getting too much suction from a standard gravel vac, just find a clamp and clamp the tubing some, this will reduce the flow and not give so much suction that you're taking up the gravel.

Oh wow, I've GOT to get one of those. Thanks.....I'll start saving up.

Oh yes, the Python is the BEST invention ever made in aquaria. I haven't hauled a bucket in at least 2 years.

I've hauled buckets and used a standard gravel vac to siphon water since buying my python. It's a better solution when trying to fill a quarantine tank with existing cycled tank water, but other than that I definitely use my python.

I start my gravel vac with my mouth =P I make a fist around the end of the tube, so my hand is sort of an extension of the tube, and then i press my mouth against my hand & give a quick suck. It's enough to start the siphon, and its fast...but I also don't have to suck on the fish tube =)

You can also dip the gravel vac end under water first and then lower the other end until the water is near the end. Put your finger on the end of the tube to seal it. Then dip the gravel vac end back in the tank to remove the excess air. You have a tube full of water, ready for syphoning.

Sarah - glad I could help :) Here's a link to a bucket clip. It's not the same exact one I have but it's the same principle - keeping the other end of the hose securely in the bucket while you're concentrating on doing the vaccuuming. The last thing you want is to turn around and see the hose flying out of the bucket and shooting water all over the room! 8O

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/product/productInfo.web?picGroupKey=10557

If you have a petsmart where you live it is a lot cheaper online and you can print off a copy of the price and the store will honor the cheaper price. I saved like 25$ doing that.

A 25 footer (Python) is only about $35 in the store and you can find them on sale or even do a price match. Being that your tank is just 29 gallons I'd recommend adjusting the flow rate so that you don't siphon everyone and their brother out of the tank.

I use mine on two tanks, the smallest being a 46 gallon with light planting, and it is a tad powerful for that particular tank. I adjust my flow and the kids stay in the pool...this was after vaccuuming one Yo-Yo Loach twice into the sink. Point it toward a corner near the top of the tank until you can be right there to direct the syphon.

After buying one, practice with it before you actualy use it...another hard lesson learned for me. Water and carpet do not mix!!!

Good luck!

The amount of "power" behind a Python depends on the distance and pressure from your faucet. At our old apt we used the outside spigot because it gave us enough power to actually suck out water. The kitchen sink didn't. When we moved to the current apt, the pressure is better but still not all that great.

I hooked up my python to our nearest fire hydrant (right in front of my house) to clean out my old 10 gal FW tank. It spontaneiously combusted.

Just kidding. I actually was looking for a better way to than the mouth-to-tube method and really liike An T-iasg and theotheragentm's ideas the best. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom