Surprise platy fry!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saucy840

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey again guys as you all know i setup my tank about 3 months ago and have been going strong since then ,, my first female platy died due to being stressed from 2 male platys. I know its best to get 2F to 1M but they messed up at the store before i knew how to sex them,. So i got a sunburt platy about last month to go with my red wags.. Today bam i walk by n notice a tiny little female platy fry .. so i took most stuff out of the tank and stored it in tank water i was doing a water change with. I took out the fry and mom and put them in a seperate small tank.

my questions . There is only 1 fry. When will she have more? Should i keep the fry in the small tank and put the mom back into the main tank and just take out the other fry when she has them? ( dont want her to eat the fry tho she hasnt tried yet ) how long is this birth process? How long will it take before i can add the fry to the main 29 gallon that contains a medium angel 3 other platys and zebra danios? How could i encourage her to have the rest of the fry if there is any?

Thanks again everyone

I'd put the mom back in the main tank. Is she still pregnant? If so you can keep her isolated but I'm not sure how long it'll take before she has the babies; gestation is 3-5 weeks I think. Keep the fry isolated; get an air stone to help circulate the water and a heater if you don't already have one. You probably don't need a filter as the fry will get sucked up anyway in anything too powerful; a sponge filter would work though. Feed the fry crushed up flake food; there are other things they can eat too. Keep the water clean, make sure ammonia doesn't spike. I wouldn't put the baby into the main tank until it's a good size, at least too large for the angel to eat.

Here are some links that might help:
All About Aquarium Fish: Platy Care and Breeding
Keeping and Breeding Platies (Xiphophorus sp.)

Congrats on the baby!

I did end up adding the mom back to the main tank she was acting stressed . I did some research and ive noticed the fry looks 2 days old atleast maybe 3 and it is the only survivor out of all of them and it doesnt seem like there is any more in her, i got a air stone in it. no heater because its a fine temp ive been testing it. I added some crushed up flake food also. Im thinking of fixing my 10g that cracked to hold the fry because it would be better with more room.

Back
Top Bottom