Talked me into it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a dirt bottomed tank capped with sand, a sand tank and an eco-complete tank and I prefer the eco-complete. Substrate needs to be 2 to 3 inches unless you go the dirt route.

Yes add plants right away. Yes that light should be fine for low light plants. Try swords, anubias, stem plants, java ferns, wendelov ferns, crypts and plants from bulbs like apongeton. You will need ferts. I started out with Flourish root tabs and use Flourish liquids.
here is a link to some dry ferts
Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

You will obviously need a freshwater test kit, especially for a fish-in cycle. There are some good articles on her about cycling both fish-in and fish less. I suggest you take a look at them. ALso there are many kinds of Tetras that are colorful and may be appropriate depending on your water hardness.
There is a book out called "Tetras and Barbs : A complete guide to the successful care and breeding of two of the most popular groups of aquarium fish". Its handy guide to tetras and barbs and can be purched for about $9 on Amazon.

ALso consider some type of corys. They come in emerald, bronze, albino, striped and Julii and Sterba which have dots and stripes. They are cute little bottom dwellers with a lot of personality and are very active.

Good luck with your new tank!

Thanks. I'm way excited and she is too. Always nice to have something to do together. I got the tank and stand (a dresser from ikea) up today and tomorrow is the fun part.

image-3084467770.jpg

She gets it in her office, I'm a bit jealous but it is hers I guess. I get the reef:)

Yea just keep an eye on the ol inch per gallon rule, I know how it is dealing with an excited wife and balllance with some bottom feeders, some cool mids and some top swimmers... I personally love barbs....I got 4 greens which pretty much run my tank and got 2 snake skins...
Oh yea and make sure you ask if your getting live barers....like mollies...they just pop out frys like rabbits...lol

Thanks for all the advice, lots of good places to start. I will be getting it going tomorrow, what all will I need. I know I will need to pick up the following. Let me know if I miss anything,
A heater
Substrate (ill let her pick but I want to do dirt)
Some drift wood
A power head (how much flow "GPH" does a planted tank need)
Food
A thermometer
And a light.

I have a filter already.

What do I need as far as fertilizer and other additives?

How nice to be able to do it together :) my partner is like I'm just not into fish ill look at them that's about it. I'm fully obsessed with them so he has to put up with multiple trips the the LFS and my rambling about it all haha! 40g is a nice size as well. Looking forward to seeing it come along and progress and what fishies you end up choosing.

Yeah she had no interest in my reef tank after I said I couldn't add the starfish for a year and haven't bought her a black occilaris clown yet. I was shocked when she said she wanted one and am thrilled, now we can make trips to the LFS and talk fish. Maybe it will get her into the salt water tank too.

Started the tank today, always cost more than planned but looks good so far. Still cloudy but it is clearing up pretty fast. We added a few plants a 3 fish, I'm hoping the fish in cycle method works for us. I can't quite see the drift wood but I will post a picture when I can.

image-3696571616.jpg

Here it is right now.

She really wanted a red tail shark so we got one of those as well as a white Molly and a male guppy. I hope they all do well, I am thinking the tank is large enough there will be know worry.

When I first started out I cycled my 20 gallon with a red tail shark....keep in mind this was before I had any knowledge of fish keeping haha. Just giving you some encouragement that it can be done!

Don't the redtails get up to like 16 inches? Just be cautious of that...don't want to squezze into pants 3 times smaller then you wear....

It was when I first started out and didn't know any better. They only get 6 inches and mine is in a 75 gallon

Really! That's awsome cause I love the look of the redtail and want one....but I thought I read they got over 12 so I gave up....but then again I was looking up all sorts of sharks so I could of mistanken it for another....I just want a shark! Lol

60074-albums11380-picture50628.jpg
[/IMG]

60074-albums10241-picture48555.jpg
[/IMG]

Mine is 7" long, I think a female, just keep that in mind! Really beautiful!

That is a piece of copy paper divided in 4 segments (2.125") on the 8.5" side.

Yes it is a bad pic, but you can see she's big!

Cute face
60074-albums10241-picture48554.jpg
[/IMG]

Again I apologize about the poor quality pics!

****....there goes my shark wishes....my green barbs are like piranas they don't bully much but you can tell they run it...

Actually barbs are one of the best type of fish to keep with a red tail shark

Really??? Well then ill be looking into it more then...thanks!

Yeah I didn't think the red tail got that big, you had me worried for a bit. I was pretty sure a 40 breeder was an appropriate size. The tank is looking better today, still haven't planted the plants in their final spots. I'm not sure where my wife wants them.

image-3574877788.jpg

I think that bamboo plant isn't fully aquatic and can't be completely submerged

Back
Top Bottom