Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tank support

Over in this thread...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ns-110032.html
...the OP shows a picture of a tank that looks like it's only supported in the middle. It reminds me how I've got a 10 gallon that is only supported on the ends (front end and back end, but nothing is supporting it in the middle from front to back).

I was wondering if these glass tanks are strong enough these type of support situations, or should the entire base (at least at the edges) be fully supported?

Old 12-22-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes edges should have support. Not just the ends or middle. Anything else puts a lot of stress on the glass.

36 BowFront Reef
LED PoweredPlanted 3G Picotope (Build thread)
Jnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ha, yes yes, that was my aquarium and post. Today, I went out and purchased a brand new stand. I don't know what I was thinking when I used that small bench as a stand. The edges must be supported if you want your aquarium to last. Here are my before and afters, also check out this post and suggest to me some ideas for plants:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/re-start-has-begun-check-it-out-110062.html
Old 12-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Placing the tank on a level, even surface is the only safe way to go. When I made my stand I used some type of cork-like tape(corkboard on one side, tape on the other). I secured the cork/foam to the top of the stand where the tank would rest on it. This ensures that the weight of the tank is spread evenly over the surface of the stand.

I wouldn't risk it with a shoddy stand, its a lot of work cleaning gravel out of your carpet!
Old 12-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMateya View Post
Ha, yes yes, that was my aquarium and post. Today, I went out and purchased a brand new stand. I don't know what I was thinking when I used that small bench as a stand. The edges must be supported if you want your aquarium to last. Here are my before and afters, also check out this post and suggest to me some ideas for plants:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/re-start-has-begun-check-it-out-110062.html
Page Not Found
Old 12-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

my bad... haha, its located in the Getting Started section, so just look for that heading.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

FWIW, I have a 100 gallon tank that is 60" long, 24" high and 16" deep.

The builder advises that the tank be placed on a flat surface and that a couple of strips of wood, 1/8" thick, maybe 2 inches wide and maybe 17-18 inches long be placed under each end and not the front and back.

So the tank is essentially supported at each end. The flat sides keep it from bowing downward.
The bottom panel is 1/2" thick and supports a weight of a little less than one pound per square inch or about 125 lb/sq.ft.

Again, this is what the manufacturer advises.

20 Gallon 4 Sculpin, 1 tiny Bluegill
Member of NANFA
Sombunya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com