Tank Upgrade!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StrangelyNormal

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys, new here but not-so-new to the hobby. I'd consider myself beginner intermediate in terms of experience and knowledge, so don't be too afraid to suggest anything.

So right now I have a 5 gal (being upgraded to a 10gal) with a betta inside, and also a 20g hexagon tank. Unfortunately the hexagon was my not pick, I had a 40g that cracked right down the front while nobody was home (fish were saved), so we just took the hex as a runner-up prize so to speak.

But now I cannot stand my 20g hex (gas exchange problems with it, always, no matter how low the stocking... yes I do water changes every week), and have made the decision to upgrade to a 90g rectangle after toying with a 40, 55, 75.. then I settled on 90.

Currently in the 20g is three diamond tetras and I only haven't gotten another two is because that tank is hell to deal with, and I'm getting a 90, so the two new tetras can go nuts in the 90. :) (I know they enjoy 5 or more, but the fact is the thing is just too hard to use; a 90g may be even easier to handle especially with the 40g experience. It's just too difficult to do anything with it, especially with plants/decorations taking up the bottom surface area. Putting a couple of catfish in there even would make it just implode with water problems because water evaporates ridiculously quick, and my parameters are normal because I bust it to keep them that way.)

So I have loads of questions before I jump into this.
1. a 40g is nothing on a 90g.. what can I even do with a 90g freshwater? It's like it's so good I don't know where to start. Before I say what I prefer, I'd like to hear suggestions first.. because I thought I didn't like Bettas until my charity case; I love them now. :p
2. Sand. Does it change water chemistry? I keep seeing conflicting things on that. I would kind of want to do a planted tank, but I know it can be hard to do with sand. Any suggestions here? Best type of sand to use? Type of sand you use? I've heard pool filter sand is fine?
3. I'm gonna need info on doing a planted tank. Link me to anything you have. Please do! Thanks!
4. Filter. I should probably go for more than just a 90g filter, yes? To help with filtering it. Also, how could I help cycle the filter during a fishless cycle? My filter is well established, but I'm wondering if there's any way I could use another filter (also established) to help it out once it's filled with water.

As a sidenote, I've fallen in love with Brown Hoplos (I'm a huge cory fan... huge), but I'm not planning for one because I don't know where I'd get it from. I know of Aquabid but even so, I don't want to assume I'm getting xyz fish and not realize other possibilities.

I also tend to use AqAdvisor for compatibility type things. So doing my best to not go into this blind.

Thanks guys! If there's anything I've missed, please do tell me because I want to do this the correct way. :)

Back
Top Bottom