Tell me if I am ok or I need to do more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bandolierbabe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I started a 12g Fluval edge one week ago today. I am interested in having red Cherry Shrimp. I had a 2g tank that was 2 yrs old and was full of Anubas, Java fern, Java moss, lg mossimo moss ball plus good sized chunks of driftwood and a number of snails. I transferred all the things from the small tank and placed them in the Fluval edge. I used about 1 cup of the gravel and stratum and transferred the filter media to the new filter. I also used about a gallon of the old tank water.
My starting parameters with the Fluval edge was TDS 152, ph 7.4, gh 4.0, KH 6, temp 76-77F. I have added a number of larger plants (corkscrew Val, water wisteria, penny wort, and some dwarf hairgrass). I've added a Hagen co2 generator that is producing about 2 bubbles per minute now and an airstone at night. I forgot to mention I have 3 zebra danios in the tank.
I had a bacterial bloom about 2 days after starting but it cleared in about a day. I have tested the ammonia and have not had an amonia spike yet.
Today, after seven days ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all zero. My ph is still 7.4.
Is this tank doing anything? Is this possibly a silent cycle? Should I do something more? I don't plan on putting shrimp in for at least 4 weeks no matter what. I plan to just wait a few weeks and continue watch the parameters. Not change anything except 20 percent water changes weekly or more often if ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates begin to spike.
Is that a good plan? Please don't dog me for using fish, too late to change that, a friend is taking the danios before I add shrimp.
Thanks for any good advice.

Sounds like you are on the right path. You may not be seeing any Nitrates due to the heavy plant load, which eats up the nitrates. That is a super small tank for any fish honestly. If you are doing all of this work with the plants and testing, why not go a little bigger? you would be able to add more fish and shrimp in the long run.

If you just want a shrimp tank, I would say you are on a good path and things look good.

Thanks

Right now I just want a shrimp tank and the spot this edge is in is perfect. I may add a larger tank later but in a different location where there is room. Thanks again for your reply.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom