Test Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loneranger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
Just a thought. I have an API saltwater testkit, Is it possible to use this to test for Amm, N'rite and N'rate in my cycling freshwater tank.
Just wondering what the difference was?
Ad

Yes & No.

The ammonia kit is salicylate (vs Nessler), which is actually more accurate.

My API nitrate kit however, have 2 different color cards for FW & SW. I don't know if your kit has the FW color cards .... FWIW, the SW color is one shade lighter than the FW one.

I don't know if the ammonia or nitrites also have different color in FW vs SW, but for these, you are really only interested in getting a zero reading to tell you when cycling is finished, so it isn't that critical if your spike level is a bit off.

I've purchased API Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate test kits. The difference between salt and fresh is the color coding to indicate concentration levels.

In the case of the Ammonia and Nitrate kits, they came with different cards for fresh and salt water. The Nitrite came with only one card. As already mentioned, the color is roughly the same to indicate ZERO levels.

And after a quick check on the API web site, reading the data sheets they provide online for their products (Material Safety Data Sheets), the individual liquid kits are the exact same thing they place in the "Master Salt water" kits (with perhaps the exception of not including color cards for fresh water).

Thanks for that guys, thought it may be the same stuff, just needed confirmation.
Ad

Back
Top Bottom