tetras: cardinals vs. neon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jharvey

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi folks - I'm thinking about a school of tetras for my 29 gallon. Any thoughts about neon vs. cardinals? I read one place that cardinals are more difficult/sensitive.

tank plan: mollies, guppies, tetras, (maybe corys)

29g high planted tank, 80 deg.

Hi folks - I'm thinking about a school of tetras for my 29 gallon. Any thoughts about neon vs. cardinals? I read one place that cardinals are more difficult/sensitive.

tank plan: mollies, guppies, tetras, (maybe corys)

29g high planted tank, 80 deg.

More neons are farm raised and so better able to adapt to our water conditions, while cardinals are more often imported and subject to a lot more stress in shipping and water they're not accustomed to.

Personally, I prefer cardinals, but the neons I bought from a reputable store are doing great. :fish1:

I prefer cardinals as well. Here, in theory they should be a little tougher as get a little bigger but I've never noticed much difference.

Sort of depends on pH too, Cardinals will prefer a lower pH standard out of the tap than Neons. So if you are in a harder water area try Neons.

Also as Barliman touched on, look for tank bred rather that wild caught fish. They tend to be easier to adjust to your tank and haven't been through all trapping and carting (as many miles and as long of travels) and are usually used to eating fish food.

Thanks everyone. My ph is 7.8 so I'll probably go with neon. Good points about wild vs. bred - I'll ask about that,too.

I keep them both in the same tank. Cardinals looks better than neon on my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I prefer Cardinals. I have also found that when Cardinals are placed into a "planted" tank they do very well. Hmm...I guess that is pretty much all fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green neons are the bestest...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom