The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
eco23 said:
Cool, keep us posted...I expect good news VERY soon :)

Hi Eco.

As I posted yesterday, I added ammonia back up to 4ppm, and have re-tested today on my return from work. My readings were:

Ammonia 1.2
Nitrite 0.1
Ph 6
Nitrate 50ppm

The ammonia still didn't seem to be dropping quite as quick as before, so I did a 50% PWC as you suggested. My readings after were:

Ammonia 0.6mg
Nitrite 0mg
Ph 6
Nitrate 5ppm

Shall I add ammonia back up to 4ppm?

Thanks for your advice :)

tiguardo said:
Hi Eco.

As I posted yesterday, I added ammonia back up to 4ppm, and have re-tested today on my return from work. My readings were:

Ammonia 1.2
Nitrite 0.1
Ph 6
Nitrate 50ppm

The ammonia still didn't seem to be dropping quite as quick as before, so I did a 50% PWC as you suggested. My readings after were:

Ammonia 0.6mg
Nitrite 0mg
Ph 6
Nitrate 5ppm

Shall I add ammonia back up to 4ppm?

Thanks for your advice :)

Yep. You want to keep dosing it up to 4ppm until the bacteria can convert that ammonia into 0 with 0 nitrItes in 24 hours. I think the low pH may be whats causing the cycle to slow down here at the end...but I don't think we need to take any action yet. If for some reason the bacteria remains stubborn, we can look into buffering the water for a short time to get everything wrapped up, but right now I think continuing to be patient is the key. The way your no2 is dropping is VERY encouraging and tells me it's almost time for fish :)

eco23 said:
Out of curiosity, can you test the pH directly from the tap for me?

Ammonia dosed up to 4ppm. I've tested the ph of the water directly from the tap and it comes out at around 5.5. Pretty acidic!

tiguardo said:
Ammonia dosed up to 4ppm. I've tested the ph of the water directly from the tap and it comes out at around 5.5. Pretty acidic!

Wow. That's what's slowing it down. It'll cycle, you just might have a couple hiccups along the way. Do you know what type of fish you want to keep? I'm against altering the pH of water in 99% of cases...but using something natural like crushed coral may be an option depending on what you plan to stock. There is a different method during pwc's when you alter the water though, because you don't want to cause a pH shock when you do your weekly water change.

eco23 said:
Wow. That's what's slowing it down. It'll cycle, you just might have a couple hiccups along the way. Do you know what type of fish you want to keep? I'm against altering the pH of water in 99% of cases...but using something natural like crushed coral may be an option depending on what you plan to stock. There is a different method during pwc's when you alter the water though, because you don't want to cause a pH shock when you do your weekly water change.

My other tanks ph is about the same as my Roma (6). In that tank I have Guppies, Rummynose Tetras, Neon Tetras & a Red Tail Shark. They all seem ok with that ph (most have been in the tank over 6 months). For my new tank I have been looking at Clown Loaches, Bala Sharks, Dwarf Gourami & maybe a very nice Peppermint Plec in my LFS.

I agree that attempting to alter the ph may cause problems later on. I am hoping that as I am buying my fish from a store very local to me( luckily a real nice one), that hopefully their water will be of similar acidity.

I hope that I can just get the cycle to finish. It seems to have been going to plan?!

tiguardo said:
My other tanks ph is about the same as my Roma (6). In that tank I have Guppies, Rummynose Tetras, Neon Tetras & a Red Tail Shark. They all seem ok with that ph (most have been in the tank over 6 months). For my new tank I have been looking at Clown Loaches, Bala Sharks, Dwarf Gourami & maybe a very nice Peppermint Plec in my LFS.

I agree that attempting to alter the ph may cause problems later on. I am hoping that as I am buying my fish from a store very local to me( luckily a real nice one), that hopefully their water will be of similar acidity.

I hope that I can just get the cycle to finish. It seems to have been going to plan?!

I'm surprised municipal water is that acidic, I would have placed some $ you were on well water. You're absolutely right that it's a huge help the lfs is on the same water supply. If they're not acclimating their new fish properly...I'm betting they have a pretty high die off rate.

I still say your cycle is fine, it might just tack on another day or so...but you're really close. Keep us posted!

eco23 said:
I'm surprised municipal water is that acidic, I would have placed some $ you were on well water. You're absolutely right that it's a huge help the lfs is on the same water supply. If they're not acclimating their new fish properly...I'm betting they have a pretty high die off rate.

I still say your cycle is fine, it might just tack on another day or so...but you're really close. Keep us posted!

Hi Eco. My test results from the day are below. I wonder what you think & suggest?

I dosed up my ammonia to 4ppm last evening. I tested this morning (12 hours on) & my results were as follows:

Ammonia 2.4mg
Nitrite 0.8mg

I then tested at 24hours from ammonia dosing and the results are:

Ammonia dropped to under 1.2, but not to 0.6
Nitrite 0.1
Ph 6
Nitrate 20

I'm a bit perplexed as to why the ammonia is not totally disappearing? From the earlier readings I think most of the ammonia is being turned to nitrite and on to nitrate, but not sure why it all isn't?

What do you think?

Thanks.

tiguardo said:
Hi Eco. My test results from the day are below. I wonder what you think & suggest?

I dosed up my ammonia to 4ppm last evening. I tested this morning (12 hours on) & my results were as follows:

Ammonia 2.4mg
Nitrite 0.8mg

I then tested at 24hours from ammonia dosing and the results are:

Ammonia dropped to under 1.2, but not to 0.6
Nitrite 0.1
Ph 6
Nitrate 20

I'm a bit perplexed as to why the ammonia is not totally disappearing? From the earlier readings I think most of the ammonia is being turned to nitrite and on to nitrate, but not sure why it all isn't?

What do you think?

Thanks.

If it's dropped the ammo roughly by half in 12 hours...hopefully we'll see it drop the other half in the next 12 hours we're in really good shape and pretty much complete. Remember the goal is 4ppm ammo down to 0 with 0 no2 in 24 hrs. If it only brings it down and doesn't drop it completely...we've definitely got some type of stall going on and I'd have to start blaming it on the low pH. Keep dosing it to 4ppm every 24 hours like you have been, and we'll look into temporarily buffering your water in a couple days if we don't get this thing finished off by then.

eco23 said:
If it's dropped the ammo roughly by half in 12 hours...hopefully we'll see it drop the other half in the next 12 hours we're in really good shape and pretty much complete. Remember the goal is 4ppm ammo down to 0 with 0 no2 in 24 hrs. If it only brings it down and doesn't drop it completely...we've definitely got some type of stall going on and I'd have to start blaming it on the low pH. Keep dosing it to 4ppm every 24 hours like you have been, and we'll look into temporarily buffering your water in a couple days if we don't get this thing finished off by then.

Thanks. It's been 24 hours from dosing it up 4ppm, so I will get it back to that level. Feel like I'm so close, but yet so far!

tiguardo said:
Thanks. It's been 24 hours from dosing it up 4ppm, so I will get it back to that level. Feel like I'm so close, but yet so far!

An update this today.

Ammonia less than 0.6, but not totally clear
Nitrite 0
Ph 6
Nitrate 50

It's odd that nearly all the ammonia is being processed, but there is a tiny residual trace. All other levels seem ok. I have been dosing up to 4ppm with the ammonia. Do you think the 90% change would shift that last little bit? Also the bacteria seem to be shifting nearly all 4ppm in 24hours, would juvenile fish create that much ammonia in the same period, allowing the filter to mature that last little bit over time? I'm not trying to cut corners, just thinking out loud really!

Any feedback appreciated!

tiguardo said:
An update this today.

Ammonia less than 0.6, but not totally clear
Nitrite 0
Ph 6
Nitrate 50

It's odd that nearly all the ammonia is being processed, but there is a tiny residual trace. All other levels seem ok. I have been dosing up to 4ppm with the ammonia. Do you think the 90% change would shift that last little bit? Also the bacteria seem to be shifting nearly all 4ppm in 24hours, would juvenile fish create that much ammonia in the same period, allowing the filter to mature that last little bit over time? I'm not trying to cut corners, just thinking out loud really!

Any feedback appreciated!

Hi tiguardo, I'm gonna shoot you a PM and see if we can get you finished up.

Ok I believe the tank has cycled as my ammonia drops to 0 within 24 hours but today I went into my daughters room to see the tank super cloudy! Any idea why it has this milky looking cloud over night? I tested the water and results are ammo 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 40 ph 8.2

shammond15731 said:
Ok I believe the tank has cycled as my ammonia drops to 0 within 24 hours but today I went into my daughters room to see the tank super cloudy! Any idea why it has this milky looking cloud over night? I tested the water and results are ammo 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 40 ph 8.2

Hmm...usually a milky appearance indicates a bacterial bloom, but I couldn't imagine that being the issue now. If your tank is dropping 4ppm ammo down to 0 with 0 no2 in 24 hours...your tank is cycled and ready to add fish :).

Have you made any changes to the tank? Moving stuff around, cleaning anything, etc...? Are you sure it is a milky appearance and not greenish? If you have a white cup, pour some tank water in and see if you can definitely distinguish the color (it can be hard to tell in the tank). I'd do 50% pwc's for the next few days and see if it clears things up.

I still say you're ready to go, but since this is kinda an odd occurrence Id either wait a couple days to stock and do your pwc's to clear it up, or just keep a close eye on your levels over the next week or so once fish are added.

You've also got a big pwc coming up anyway to get your no3 below 20. Just dose the ammo up to 1ppm every 24 hours to keep the bacteria fed until you buy fish. Good job!

After a tank is cycled...if I have another tank with the same pH, temp, and good water parameters, can I just move fish from one tank to another?

Haven't done anything to the tank besides dip test tubes of water from it and it is definitely a white cloudiness which I have heard to be a bacteria bloom and I thought would be odd in this case too. I turned the heater down to start dropping the temp and will probably wait till the middle of the week to go get a couple occupants for the tank, hopefully by then the water will clear up.

shammond15731 said:
Haven't done anything to the tank besides dip test tubes of water from it and it is definitely a white cloudiness which I have heard to be a bacteria bloom and I thought would be odd in this case too. I turned the heater down to start dropping the temp and will probably wait till the middle of the week to go get a couple occupants for the tank, hopefully by then the water will clear up.

Yep, I'd just do a couple pwc's to clear it up then. Shouldn't be any problem. I cant imagine it being a bacterial bloom because you've established a strong bio-filter with your fishless cycle and there is no reason for the bacteria to be blooming or adjusting. No worries, just keep an eye on parameters to make sure nothing odd happens :)

Aspencer said:
After a tank is cycled...if I have another tank with the same pH, temp, and good water parameters, can I just move fish from one tank to another?

Do you mean if both tanks are cycled? As long as they're both established and have the same parameters you should be able to move them over without a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom