The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean if both tanks are cycled? As long as they're both established and have the same parameters you should be able to move them over without a problem.

Thanks, followed you thread when cycling my 20g Long for a new home for my Swordtails. It really helped with my many questions of the process.

Aspencer said:
Thanks, followed you thread when cycling my 20g Long for a new home for my Swordtails. It really helped with my many questions of the process.

I'm glad it helped. I'm sure the fish appreciate you taking the time to do it for them too :)

Well after 24 days, I'm glad to say with some great guidance from Eco, my cycle has completed. For everyone going through fishless cycling at present, keep the faith! It is all worth it in the end! The help & advice on the forums have been so useful, and I hope I can reciprocate some of it to others in the future.
My first residents were introduced today, and are doing well. They're proving a little shy at the moment, but hopefully they'll settle in ok.

Good luck everyone :)

tiguardo said:
Well after 24 days, I'm glad to say with some great guidance from Eco, my cycle has completed. For everyone going through fishless cycling at present, keep the faith! It is all worth it in the end! The help & advice on the forums have been so useful, and I hope I can reciprocate some of it to others in the future.
My first residents were introduced today, and are doing well. They're proving a little shy at the moment, but hopefully they'll settle in ok.

Congrats

tiguardo said:

Congratulations! I can't wait to see some pics when you get fish in there. I hope you stick around the forum and help people learn about your successful cycle so we can save some more fish!

eco23 said:
Congratulations! I can't wait to see some pics when you get fish in there. I hope you stick around the forum and help people learn about your successful cycle so we can save some more fish!

I sure will be!

Photos will follow soon (when my Golden Gouramis come out from under a fern leaf :))

Update from Post 879.

5/18 6PM
pH 6.4
ammo 1.0
nitrite 2.0
nitrate 5.0 - 10

5/18 9PM
added crushed coral in mesh bag

5/19 7AM
pH 7.2 - 7.6
ammo 0.25
nitrite 2.0
nitrate 10
added 1 gallon water to top off tank due to evaporation
added 3.5 ml ammonia and two raw shrimp (26-30 shrimp per pound size - 2-ish" long)

5/19 2PM
pH 7.0
ammo 2.0 - I was not expecting number to be this low
nitrite 1.0
nitrate 5.0

5/23 7PM
pH 7.8
ammo 0
nitrite 0.50
nitrate 5.0 - 10
removed the shrimp and added 4ml ammonia
ammo 6.0+ - water taken directly from filter output 30 minutes after adding ammonia

5/24 6PM
pH 7.6 - 7.8
ammo 0 - 0.25
nitrite 0 - 0.25 - This is big!!
nitrate 5.0 - 10
added lava rocks and small Mount Wannahockaloogie volcano bubbler
added 3.5 ml ammonia

The 4ml added yesterday gave me a real dark green test that was easily 6.0+. Tank is a 28g bow front with 3" PFS substrate. I was fully expecting ammo to drop, but I wasn't expecting nitrite to almost be zero. It looks like the tank is cycled. Hooraaahhh!!!!

I'll check parameters tomorrow and am hoping both ammo and nitrite are down to zero. If they are, I guess I'll drop heater temp to 76 degrees and only add 2ml ammonia every day until I get fish. At what point is it safe to remove crushed coral?

royta said:
Update from Post 879.

5/18 6PM
pH 6.4
ammo 1.0
nitrite 2.0
nitrate 5.0 - 10

5/18 9PM

5/19 7AM
pH 7.2 - 7.6
ammo 0.25
nitrite 2.0
nitrate 10
added 3.5 ml ammonia and two raw shrimp (26-30 shrimp per pound size - 2-ish" long)

5/19 2PM
pH 7.0
nitrite 1.0
nitrate 5.0

5/23 7PM
pH 7.8
ammo 0
nitrite 0.50
nitrate 5.0 - 10
ammo 6.0+ - water taken directly from filter output 30 minutes after adding ammonia

5/24 6PM
pH 7.6 - 7.8
ammo 0 - 0.25
nitrate 5.0 - 10
added 3.5 ml ammonia

The 4ml added yesterday gave me a real dark green test that was easily 6.0+. Tank is a 28g bow front with 3" PFS substrate. I was fully expecting ammo to drop, but I wasn't expecting nitrite to almost be zero. It looks like the tank is cycled. Hooraaahhh!!!!

I'll check parameters tomorrow and am hoping both ammo and nitrite are down to zero. If they are, I guess I'll drop heater temp to 76 degrees and only add 2ml ammonia every day until I get fish. At what point is it safe to remove crushed coral?

Great!!!!!!! Congrats and enjoy your new aquatic buddies.

royta said:
Update from Post 879.

5/18 6PM
pH 6.4
ammo 1.0
nitrite 2.0
nitrate 5.0 - 10

5/18 9PM

5/19 7AM
pH 7.2 - 7.6
ammo 0.25
nitrite 2.0
nitrate 10

5/19 2PM
pH 7.0
nitrite 1.0
nitrate 5.0

5/23 7PM
pH 7.8
ammo 0
nitrite 0.50
nitrate 5.0 - 10

5/24 6PM
pH 7.6 - 7.8
ammo 0 - 0.25
nitrate 5.0 - 10
added 3.5 ml ammonia

That's fantastic! As soon as you're certain the tank is cycled...remove the crushed coral and do a big water change. Your nitrAtes are low enough that it's not needed to lower them...but the CC will raise your pH higher than it was from the tap. We want to create a nice stable environment for your new fish where the pH is the same when they move in as it will be during pwc's. I know it's a pain in the butt, but I'd do another 80% pwc to get the pH into the same range as out of the tap. Sorry the CC caused an extra step...but I'm glad it stabilized everything and seems to have gotten you done. Awesome job!

That's fantastic! As soon as you're certain the tank is cycled...remove the crushed coral and do a big water change. Your nitrAtes are low enough that it's not needed to lower them...but the CC will raise your pH higher than it was from the tap. We want to create a nice stable environment for your new fish where the pH is the same when they move in as it will be during pwc's. I know it's a pain in the butt, but I'd do another 80% pwc to get the pH into the same range as out of the tap. Sorry the CC caused an extra step...but I'm glad it stabilized everything and seems to have gotten you done. Awesome job!

An 80% PWC is no big deal. Questions:

As long as ammo and nitrite are zero after 24 hours, does it matter when I remove the crushed coral?

Is it ok if I remove crushed coral but do the 80% PWC several days later?

Do you think the pH will lower over the course of a week like it did when trying to complete the cycle?

What ammo ppm should I dose to every 24 hours in order to provide bacteria food while I'm waiting to get fish?

If I dose to a lower ppm, will there be a bacteria die off?

Thanks.

ETA - The kids just had to have the volcano, so...there it is.

Attachments

• IMG_1592_1024-768.jpg
    IMG_1592_1024-768.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 107
royta said:
An 80% PWC is no big deal. Questions:

As long as ammo and nitrite are zero after 24 hours, does it matter when I remove the crushed coral?

Is it ok if I remove crushed coral but do the 80% PWC several days later?

Do you think the pH will lower over the course of a week like it did when trying to complete the cycle?

What ammo ppm should I dose to every 24 hours in order to provide bacteria food while I'm waiting to get fish?

If I dose to a lower ppm, will there be a bacteria die off?

Thanks.

As long as your cycle is done, the pH will stay stable. As long as you do a big pwc after you remove the CC it doesn't matter when...we just want the pH natural before the fish move in.

I would just dose 1ppm ammo every day before adding fish. If it's going to be a long time before buying them, it's a good idea to keep dosing up high...but remember your no3 will also climb and another pwc will be needed.

As long as your cycle is done, the pH will stay stable. As long as you do a big pwc after you remove the CC it doesn't matter when...we just want the pH natural before the fish move in.

I would just dose 1ppm ammo every day before adding fish. If it's going to be a long time before buying them, it's a good idea to keep dosing up high...but remember your no3 will also climb and another pwc will be needed.

Great. Thanks.

I'm just trying to figure which fish I'll be stocking. Something the kids will be happy with, and something that will also fit the tank. I think some trips to the LFS' will be in order. It could be a week or so. I'd also like to get a new light fixture, a 24" 2x24w T5HO, so that I can get some live plants.

Tank looks good! No comment on the appearance of the CC, lol. Are you going to add some plants as well?

You snuck a post in. ;) I'm wondering what live plants I could get away with if I temporarily stuck with my current 18" 15 watt T8 fixture. Spending money on the tank isn't something I really want to be doing.

Either way, I DO NOT want to go high tech and need CO2.

royta said:
Great. Thanks.

I'm just trying to figure which fish I'll be stocking. Something the kids will be happy with, and something that will also fit the tank. I think some trips to the LFS' will be in order. It could be a week or so. I'd also like to get a new light fixture, a 24" 2x24w T5HO, so that I can get some live plants.

You snuck a post in. ;) I'm wondering what live plants I could get away with if I temporarily stuck with my current 18" 15 watt T8 fixture. Spending money on the tank isn't something I really want to be doing.

Either way, I DO NOT want to go high tech and need CO2.

I'm not a plant expert by any means, but I've got duel T-5 HO 39 watt bulbs (1 Ultra Sun, 1 actinic) and a bunch of easy maintenance plants without co2 or anything crazy and all is well. I have Java Moss, Vals, Water Sprite, a Morimo Ball, etc...

It'd definitely be good to get even some fake plants in there for the fish to feel comfortable. It looks really nice but kinda exposed.

How big is the tank? I always recommend Danios. They're really fun, active little fish...and you'd be saving them. Poor little danios are what the pet stores sell people to cycle their tanks. You'd be giving them a safe and happy home with the effort you've put into your tank.

My nitrites are showing blue, but not quite as blue as what's on the card. There is absolutely no hint of purple though, so I'm much closer to 0 than I am to 0.25. It seems like I can barely make out a green hue to the results.

Would you say I'm cycled?

royta said:
My nitrites are showing blue, but not quite as blue as what's on the card. There is absolutely no hint of purple though, so I'm much closer to 0 than I am to 0.25. It seems like I can barely make out a green hue to the results.

Would you say I'm cycled?

If you're dropping ammonia levels that fast...you're good to go. It doesn't hurt to dose up to ~2ppm one more time and make sure it goes to 0 with 0 no2 in 24 hours...but it seems like you're set. The API kits always look like it's got a hint of green even if it's at zero.

eco23 said:
If you're dropping ammonia levels that fast...you're good to go. It doesn't hurt to dose up to ~2ppm one more time and make sure it goes to 0 with 0 no2 in 24 hours...but it seems like you're set. The API kits always look like it's got a hint of green even if it's at zero.

I figured one more day could only do good so I added 3ml of ammonia (28g tank) about 30 minutes ago which should dose to above 3ppm. Tomorrow I'll lower the temp to 76F and pull the crushed coral out. Hopefully I'll have time to pick up some tall low light plants. I guess I better get a timer for the light fixture too.

royta said:
I figured one more day could only do good so I added 3ml of ammonia (28g tank) about 30 minutes ago which should dose to above 3ppm. Tomorrow I'll lower the temp to 76F and pull the crushed coral out. Hopefully I'll have time to pick up some tall low light plants. I guess I better get a timer for the light fixture too.

Congrats enjoy your fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom