The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question, once the 55 gallon cycles and the fish are moved over from the 20 gallon to 55. Would it also be possible to add freshwater shrimp to the tank with the fish that I have?

2 Red Wag Platy
1 Red Minor Tetra
3 Jumbo Neon Tetra
1 Lamp Eye Tetra
1 Orange Von Rio Flame Tetra

You can add as many shrimp as you want...almost literally. I have an ungodly amount of Red Cherry Shrimp and a few Amanos. You should get a nice clump of Java Moss for the RCS to hide and breed in. You may also want to look into upping the numbers of your schooling fish. Most like to be kept in a group of at least 5 or more.

5 or more fish, I understand the group thing but wouldn't that be too many fish for the 55 gallon? If I did 5 across the board I would have like 17 more fish for a total of like 25 fish. And that doesn't include the shrimp.

Which ones should I get more of?

This is what I have now:
2 Red Wag Platy
1 Red Minor Tetra
3 Jumbo Neon Tetra
1 Lamp Eye Tetra

5 or more fish, I understand the group thing but wouldn't that be too many fish for the 55 gallon? If I did 5 across the board I would have like 17 more fish for a total of like 25 fish. And that doesn't include the shrimp.

Which ones should I get more of?

This is what I have now:
2 Red Wag Platy
1 Red Minor Tetra
3 Jumbo Neon Tetra
1 Lamp Eye Tetra

To be honest, I'm not overly familiar with the size and bio-load of the fish you have. I have 32 fish in my 46 gallon (Neons, Red Eye Tetras, Danios, Otos and a Bolivian Ram). And my water is pristine and everyone is happy. I'm actually only considered about 80% stocked. Stocking really comes down to filtration, dedication to water changes and cleaning and common sense about swim room and compatibility. Shrimp really don't count against your stocking %...you can basically have 400 in there if you want.

You can use Aqadvisor as a general guideline if you want...but take their recommendations with a grain of salt because it is not considered reliable.

Hows your tank doing my friend have you stopped messing with it yet lol you got it to how you want it and happy with it

Stopped messing with it? Yeah right, lol. I made some changes to it to make one of my fish happy since he didn't like the substrate, and in the last week I've bought 2 more tanks, lol. I got a Fluval Chi we're going to use as a Betta tank, and a 10 gallon to QT some new fish we're gonna be moving in. It never stops with the fish stuff, I'm not sure when the "peaceful and relaxing" part of fish keeping is supposed to kick in...it's more like a second job sometimes, haha.

eco23 said:
Stopped messing with it? Yeah right, lol. I made some changes to it to make one of my fish happy since he didn't like the substrate, and in the last week I've bought 2 more tanks, lol. I got a Fluval Chi we're going to use as a Betta tank, and a 10 gallon to QT some new fish we're gonna be moving in. It never stops with the fish stuff, I'm not sure when the "peaceful and relaxing" part of fish keeping is supposed to kick in...it's more like a second job sometimes, haha.

Dude since you have new tanks, are you familiar with fishless cycling? Sorry couldn't resist.....

Deckape said:
Dude since you have new tanks, are you familiar with fishless cycling? Sorry couldn't resist.....

I've heard it mentioned...doesn't really seem like something I'd be interested in though, haha. Actually, the great thing about the first fishless cycle is that you pretty much don't need to do it again. I cycled my 10 gallon in about 15 minutes using seeded media from my canister filter.

Where you been bro? It's hard saving the worlds population of aquarium fish without my partner in crime, lol.

eco23 said:
I've heard it mentioned...doesn't really seem like something I'd be interested in though, haha. Actually, the great thing about the first fishless cycle is that you pretty much don't need to do it again. I cycled my 10 gallon in about 15 minutes using seeded media from my canister filter.

Where you been bro? It's hard saving the worlds population of aquarium fish without my partner in crime, lol.

Just been busy dude. All is well. I do my best to get on here but haven't had the time lately....

Deckape said:
Just been busy dude. All is well. I do my best to get on here but haven't had the time lately....

We'll work on saving the fish, you keep making the country safe for us. I think we're getting the better end of the deal :)

FishShack said:
Could, Should or Can I add a couple of shrimp to the 55 gallon to help along the cycle? Will it help?

Shrimp aren't going to add anything different from pure ammonia except for an awful smell and potentially molds and fungus, there's no need. If you haven't already, I'd start slowly transferring media from your 20 over to the 55 :)

I took 1 filter media from the 20g and cut it from the carbon plastic cartridge. In the 55g tank I have also 4 filters in each marineland bio-wheel 350 for a total of 8. There wasn't any room for filter from the 20g in the filter containers so I put the filter from the 20g in the 55g tank and swished it around and left it in the tank next to the filter in the water. Will this work? hope so....:ermm:

FishShack said:
I took 1 filter media from the 20g and cut it from the carbon plastic cartridge. In the 55g tank I have also 4 filters in each marineland bio-wheel 350 for a total of 8. There wasn't any room for filter from the 20g in the filter containers so I put the filter from the 20g in the 55g tank and swished it around and left it in the tank next to the filter in the water. Will this work? hope so....:ermm:

Anything and everything will help. It'd be best to find a way to have it sitting against the new media, but the way you have it will help. Is it a rigid cartridge? Wrapping it around the intake with a rubber band to secure it would probably be second best if you can't get it into the actual filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom