The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea it was a rigid cartridge so I cut it from it. I cut the filter in half and now I moved it from inside the tank to the filter area, next to the new media.

FishShack said:
Yea it was a rigid cartridge so I cut it from it. I cut the filter in half and now I moved it from inside the tank to the filter area, next to the new media.

Perfect :). If it's an option, have the old media the first thing the water contacts, with the new filter pressed right up against it as the second. That'll be the most efficient way to seed it. The media should get things going pretty quickly. I'd wait a few days, and if the 20 gallon stays stable see if you can donate a bit more.

I have 3 more filters (was 4) in the 20 g tank and yes one half of the filter is against the first filter on one side and the same in the other housing. I have 4 filters in each (2)350 (total 8) so right now I only have to so much to go around. But hopefully this will get things going.

Well got home today from work and tested the 55 gallon tank. I think the party is getting started :dance:.

Ammo 3.0ppm
Nitrite .25ppm
Nitrate 30ppm
PH 7.6

Just cracked open a beer...!!! The media from the 20 gallon is working...just took a couple of days...

FishShack said:
Well got home today from work and tested the 55 gallon tank. I think the party is getting started :dance:.

Ammo 3.0ppm
Nitrite .25ppm
Nitrate 30ppm
PH 7.6

Just cracked open a beer...!!! The media from the 20 gallon is working...just took a couple of days...

Good to hear :). Things should start happening pretty fast now.

I am getting towards the end of my cycle and was reading last night about putting in peaceful community first but not little fish. I have these fish in the 20g right now,

2 Red Wag Platy
1 Red Minor Tetra
5 Jumbo Neon Tetra
1 Lamp Eye Tetra
1 Orange Von Rio Flame Tetra

ECO said that you shouldn't throw the fish in a new together because of the dominance and territory issues.

Questions:
1. I was going to add the 2 Red Wag Platy's and the 5 Jumbo Neon Tetra first, but will these fish keep the 55g tank cycled? Do I need to add more fish? Or even more fish than I have to start?

2. Once you add fish how long do they need to stabilize terrority etc.? A day or two? before adding more fish?

FYI: I did my first PWC 50% last night, the nitrites and nitrates were through the roof. Then filled back up, tested then added 4ppm ammo.

Cheers
FishShack :fish2:

FishShack said:
I am getting towards the end of my cycle and was reading last night about putting in peaceful community first but not little fish. I have these fish in the 20g right now,

2 Red Wag Platy
1 Red Minor Tetra
5 Jumbo Neon Tetra
1 Lamp Eye Tetra
1 Orange Von Rio Flame Tetra

ECO said that you shouldn't throw the fish in a new together because of the dominance and territory issues.

Questions:
1. I was going to add the 2 Red Wag Platy's and the 5 Jumbo Neon Tetra first, but will these fish keep the 55g tank cycled? Do I need to add more fish? Or even more fish than I have to start?

2. Once you add fish how long do they need to stabilize terrority etc.? A day or two? before adding more fish?

FYI: I did my first PWC 50% last night, the nitrites and nitrates were through the roof. Then filled back up, tested then added 4ppm ammo.

Cheers
FishShack :fish2:

Glad your cycle is going well :). I don't see any problem moving them all over at once. I know the Serpae Tetras can be a bit nippy, but I'm more referring territorial and aggressive fish when I say to let them establish territory, not community fish like you have.

The main thing I would focus on once the tank is cycled is increasing the numbers of your schooling fish. I know the Serpae's, Lamp Eye and Flame Tetras all like / need to be in a minimum group of 5. Is that your plan with the larger tank?

Yea, that's my plan, I used to have 3 neon and I brought 2 more about a week ago. The Red Minor keeps chasing my red wags and its pissing me off, so i was going to leave the red minor in the 20g for now and then have 5 of each kind of fish in the 55g, I saw another type of fish at the aquarium store that I loved and would get 5 of those (can't remember the name). The red minor will eventually come over with 4 other Red Minors but they are going in last. When its all said and done I should have like 30 fish.

With the list of fish that I have now will they keep the 55g cycled or do I need to get more as soon as possible after the tank is cycled?

What to do with the 20g? hmmmm

Yea, that's my plan, I used to have 3 neon and I brought 2 more about a week ago. The Red Minor keeps chasing my red wags and its pissing me off, so i was going to leave the red minor in the 20g for now and then have 5 of each kind of fish in the 55g, I saw another type of fish at the aquarium store that I loved and would get 5 of those (can't remember the name). The red minor will eventually come over with 4 other Red Minors but they are going in last. When its all said and done I should have like 30 fish.

With the list of fish that I have now will they keep the 55g cycled or do I need to get more as soon as possible after the tank is cycled?

What to do with the 20g? hmmmm

sounds like you've got a good stocking plan. Good move leaving the Red Minor behind for now. I've never kept them, but I'm not a huge fan from what I've heard. Hopefully once he's got a school he'll be a little more peaceful.

So...if it were my tank (which it's not so do as you please, lol), I'd see 2 options.

1) Once the tank is good and cycled, move everything except the Serpae over to the 55. Run to the LFS shortly after (even the same day if you wanted) and buy more Lamp Eye and Flame Tetras to complete their school. That way you'll have 5 Lamp Eyes, 5 Flames, 5 Neons and your Platys in there. That number of fish is fine for a tank cycled at 4ppm...your new bio-filter will handle it.

Problem there is that you're counting on the new fish being healthy since they'd be going right into your display tank without being QT'd. If you trust your lfs...that's the way I'd go. You could also move the new fish into the 20 for a while to make sure they're healthy before adding them to the 55...but then you've got to deal with the Serpae again. If you're not in love with the Serpae Tetra...maybe get some store credit towards your Lamp Eye and Flame Tetras?

2) Move over all your current fish to the 55. Maybe the Serpae will be better behaved with more room in the tank. Then buy your remaining fish shortly after and use the 20 gallon as a QT for a couple weeks until you know they're healthy and move them in with the rest.

It really comes down to your patience level and how much you trust your LFS. Either way, if you don't have another tank...I'd keep the 20 in the closet to use as a hospital / QT.

Just throwing out ideas :) Your call obviously.

Thank you for the answers, very helpful, another question, when I move the fish over to the 55g from the 20g can I just grab the net and transfer them over since the temp would be the same? Or should I put them in a ziplock and float in the 55g for about 15mins?

FishShack said:
Thank you for the answers, very helpful, another question, when I move the fish over to the 55g from the 20g can I just grab the net and transfer them over since the temp would be the same? Or should I put them in a ziplock and float in the 55g for about 15mins?

If the pH and temperature are identical...you can move them right over. Just remember that cycling wreaks havoc on your pH, so it may be at a different level than your established tank. Acclimating is always a good idea, but since it's the same water source (so hardness and alkilinity are similar) and pH and temp are the same...I wouldn't see a need.

Ok, I just got home from work and here are my readings,

0ppm ammo
5ppm nitrites
40 to 80ppm range nitrates

Last night at 12:30am I did a PWC 50% and then filled and I added the ammo to 4ppm. I just checked these readings at 3:50pm. So should I do a PWC 50% again then dose to 4ppm ammo or just dose back up to 4ppm ammo again now?

FishShack said:
Ok, I just got home from work and here are my readings,

0ppm ammo
>5ppm nitrites
40 to 80ppm range nitrates

Last night at 12:30am I did a PWC 50% and then filled and I added the ammo to 4ppm. I just checked these readings at 3:50pm. So should I do a PWC 50% again then dose to 4ppm ammo or just dose back up to 4ppm ammo again now?

Man, you are really close :)

2 options...one more work than the other but potentially more efficient.

Option one, do another large enough pwc to get nitrItes down to .5-1. After that, only dose 1ppm ammo for the next 3 days before going back up to 4ppm. This will give the no2 > no3 bacteria a chance to catch it's breath and catch up without the nitrItes piling up too quickly.

Option 2, just keep dosing it up to 4ppm and let the nitrItes drop on their own.

You can't lose either way. I'm just starting to feel that the first option tends to really help when you're this deep in and close to finishing.

Its July 4th weekend, I guess I will have to do option 2 because I wont be around that often and my tank is going through ammo now really fast and wouldnt be able to be around to keep dosing 1ppm....:ermm:

Ok adding 4ppm to tank...

FishShack said:
Its July 4th weekend, I guess I will have to do option 2 because I wont be around that often and my tank is going through ammo now really fast and wouldnt be able to be around to keep dosing 1ppm....:ermm:

Ok adding 4ppm to tank...

The 1ppm dosing is only necessary every 24 hours. The point is to not produce as many nitrItes for a couple days so the no2 > no3 bacteria isn't overwhelmed for a couple days. It's a new theory I've been trying out...but it's had great success for people.

It's obviously fine either way, like you said, it's 4th of July weekend...I probably wouldn't have the motor skills to lift a bucket on Monday (especially Tuesday morning, lol).

Yea I here that, I hope this weekend it cycles because it would be good timing over a long weekend. :) , man I just want it to cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom