to much water conditioner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dump that aqueon and get prime.. Than dose according to directions, no amount of crappy conditioner will make your tap tolerable.. I've been there .. I have 3 bottles of conditioner in the bone yard..

I have Prime and follow the directions. Hopefully one capful dumped into my bucket of incoming tank water is enough to neutralize the bad stuff. I'm really certain I am putting in at any given time 10 gal or less of water during water changes so I'm pretty sure one capful of Prime is enough to take care of that.

But I too am curious if there's really such a thing as putting too much conditioner in your incoming tank water and if so, what would that amount be?

No, I wouldn't go dumping a whole bottle in your table but you can safely 5x dose prime to detox nitrites or ammonia.. I really can't see it killing bb...

It might not kill bb but it seems like there's an emerging understanding of osmotic stress and it's effect on fish. It's hard to quantify, but basically anything you put in the water can hurt a fish if you overdo it. Like humans ... Pure oxygen isn't a good idea but we also hit a point of having too much other stuff in our air. Dechlorinator is necessary, and it's good to get some stuff that helps slime coat into that product (in my limited experience anyway). It's also good for us to spray something on the kitchen counters to disinfect them but too much of even a natural cleaner will bother our lungs.

Aqueon uses something synthetic for slime coat. Seachem seems to have the best reputation for chemicals and I like the way they formulate and label too, but I'm also liking API stress coat (it addresses chlorine, heavy metals, and slime coat) and our LFS recommends it too.

Back
Top Bottom