Trying to decide on fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 58 gal planted tank. I am still not quite ready to add fish, but I am getting close and I would like to know how this would work out.

4-6 angels
3 clown loaches
8-10 neon tetras
1 redtail shark or 3 bala sharks

Would that work together? And what else could I add or would the tank be pretty full with those?

The only real requirement at this point is I need fish that aren't famous jumpers, I only have a half lid currently. Tank is an odd size so I am having a hard time finding a replacement.

Thanks,
Kimberly

Looks good, but the neon tetras should be replaced by bigger tetras because they will most likely be eaten by the angels.

Oh...and skip the 3 bala sharks because they will get too big for a 58 gal and they are famous jumpers.

you could try some dwarf cichlids with your angels.. that would bring some nice colors. (blue rams, apistogrammas..)

I would also replace the neons with something a bit bigger, they will probably become angel snacks. And leave out the sharks.
I am a fan of understocking so I personally think you would be set with the angels, loaches, and a school of some other small fish.

I think the redtailed shark would be fine in that set up (as opposed to the bala)

Like everyone else mentioned I would pass on the neons and try a larger, different tetra

Dwarf Gouramis are really colorful too and i have them with my angels. Bala sharks are ok by themselves, i have one bala shark and one red tail shark (actually a loach i think)
Your stocking idea is very similar to mine :)
Some people are really modest with their stocking, you can push the limits if you do frequent water changes and have good filtration, but that just depends on how much work you want! Good luck

So what tetras would you recommend? They all seem to get to be about the same size. What about orange von rio tetras or green fire tetras? They seem to have a slightly bigger body, not as thin.

I am not "stuck" on the angelfish. They actually aren't my favorite, but my husband likes them. I like more colorful fish for the most part. I also like the sharks (I think I will get a redtail or rainbow shark instead of balas...when I was at the lfs today one jumped out of its tank right in front of me!), and I love the clown loaches.

Would I have the same "problem" with the tetras if I did gouramis instead?

Thanks,
Kimberly

Back
Top Bottom