Trying to decide what size tank to get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LIBuckeye

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I am planning to start a freshwater aquarium in my (townhouse-style) apartment. However, the only place I can put it is on the third floor in my room, which is all carpeted floor. I want something small since I'm the third floor, but I've also seen posts on this forum and others suggesting that small aquariums, like 5-10 gallons, aren't stable on carpeted floor and could easily tip. Currently, I'm thinking about getting a 20 Long, but those are hard to find. 29s are much more common, and available online and at my LFS in convenient kits and tank/stand ensembles, but I'm afraid that it might be too heavy for the 3rd floor.

The only thing I have on my stocking list right now is 3 platies.

Yeah so I need help deciding 20 L vs. 29 (or, if you suggest, a different size altogether), and could also some use advice on where to purchase tanks, stands and other equipment online?

Well bigger is better but you should buy what you like and have space for if I remember correctly a 29 has the same footprint of a 20L but is taller. Both tanks you mentioned will be fine for platies. My local petco has stacks of 20L and 29g tanks with stands and equipment.

I'd seriously consider an acrylic tank. They are lighter, stronger, and I think, look better. They won't crack or leak, either. You can scratch them if you are not careful removing algae but scratches can be easily buffed out. Acrylic weighs about half of what glass does, so with water and all, you might save about 30 pounds by going acrylic with a 20 gallon tank.
Google acrylic fish tank and you will find several sites that have a large variety of sizes of tanks as well as stands. Other equipment you can find at DrsFosterSmith, MarineDepot, and Amazon and other sites.

Well bigger is better but you should buy what you like and have space for if I remember correctly a 29 has the same footprint of a 20L but is taller. Both tanks you mentioned will be fine for platies. My local petco has stacks of 20L and 29g tanks with stands and equipment.

Thank you!

Yep, 29 and 20 L are the same footprint. I know bigger is better, but I always thought that saying was mostly about surface area, which for these two tanks sizes is exactly the same. My local petco only has 20 Ls by themselves or as part of reptile starter kits, they don't have deals selling them together with stands or aquarium equipment like they do for 10s, 20 Hs, 29s, and even 55s.

I'd seriously consider an acrylic tank. They are lighter, stronger, and I think, look better. They won't crack or leak, either. You can scratch them if you are not careful removing algae but scratches can be easily buffed out. Acrylic weighs about half of what glass does, so with water and all, you might save about 30 pounds by going acrylic with a 20 gallon tank.
Google acrylic fish tank and you will find several sites that have a large variety of sizes of tanks as well as stands. Other equipment you can find at DrsFosterSmith, MarineDepot, and Amazon and other sites.

Thank you as well! If that is the case, I might just go with 29 acrylic. I'm pretty interested this: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/29-gallon-grey-fusion-series-cabinet-and-tank-combo but (if I'm not mistaken) wet/dry filters aren't for freshwater tanks, and I don't really like the top.

Surface area does play a part especially if you want large or active fish and also better for gas exchange if you plan to go planted but can be compensated with air pumps or CO2 injection. However more volume does mean you can have more small fish in most cases or just maintain more stable parameters. If it were me I would buy everything individually so you can pick better equipment that will benefit you in the long run.

A 20l with Nano fish and mystery snails would be awesome !

I also enjoy plants and a 20l is ideal for planting.

Last edited:
In a normally constructed building, a 29g tank spread across a 30x12 base shouldn't be overly worrisome from a weight perspective.

Doesn't matter what floor it's on. Unless it's an illegally converted attic space to apartment. Does the floor bounce when you walk? Put a bowl of water where the tank is going and jump up and down. If the bowl spills or you fall through floor consider an ant farm??

I have used wet/dry filters for fresh water tanks for years. For a large tank or several tanks hooked together, wet/dry filters are great. Not just for salt water.

Thanks everyone! I did indeed decide to go with a 20 Long. I'm still not fully decided with what fish I actually want to get. Originally, I had wanted to get an aquarium in order to keep dwarf puffers. However, then I started thinking I'd do something more "easy" like platies. And yet, now I'm back to wanting to get dwarf puffers.

Thanks everyone! I did indeed decide to go with a 20 Long. I'm still not fully decided with what fish I actually want to get. Originally, I had wanted to get an aquarium in order to keep dwarf puffers. However, then I started thinking I'd do something more "easy" like platies. And yet, now I'm back to wanting to get dwarf puffers.

A small colony of pea puffers would be neat, but they can't be kept with any other fish, as I recall. Platys are beautiful and amusing fish, just be aware that they breed easily and often. (I should know. Mine are little sex maniacs. :brows: )

Get the puffers, you'll eventually be mad at yourself for settling lol

The 20L depth is good for growing low demand plants without investing in higher lighting. Puffers really seem to like the plants. This is my 20L that I am using as my snail nursery. IMG_1411.jpg
Standard Aqueon lights in the lid with 2 led tubes.

This is my 9g dwarf puffer tank. I'gor is very attentive and interactive. IMG_1442.jpg. This tank has very small LEDs and the plants are still doing great. IMG_1387.jpg

Get your puffer on!

Back
Top Bottom