Trying to understand when/how to change Filter Material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmosher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings!

First of all, I'm loving this website. It has been incredibly helpful...

Here's my questions - I'm trying to understand the correct way to replace, clean, reuse my filter material. I have two filters - a Magnum 350 Canister and a Penguin 350 Bio-wheel HOF. Can someone walk me through when and how to change the material in these? I've read that I shouldn't trust the LFS who says to simply buy new filter material every month and swap it out. Now I better understand the importance of the biofilter found in this material. Not as comfortable with my canister filter. The Magnum has the blue filter material around the container that I've been putting Ammo-carb in.

I'd love to hear how those WAY more experienced then I on this forum would manage these two filters to maximize their effectiveness AND best preserve the valuable biofilter?

THANKS!!

basicaly all you do is shake, squeeze and rinse out the filter material in your old tank water when you do a water change, drain the old water into a bucket and use that to clean the filters before disposing of it, most people here seem to keep the floss/sponges that are in their filters until it's almost falling apart

Thanks manbeast. One question - What kind of material would you keep in the canister filter? Not the blue filter sleeve, but the media container?

For filters that use cartridges like some HOB ... You replace it when it's literally falling apart. I've had the same cartridge in my RCS filter since early October.
Just rinse it with tank water during PWC's.

Filters that use different media like the Aqua Clears or Canister filters, you just rinse off the foam pad and ceramic media. Don't bother with Carbon. In my AC-70's I use Polyfill in place of Carbon to polish the water.

sorry I'm not to familiar with the magnum 350's, but in my canisters any extra space has been filled with bio media

Back
Top Bottom