Upgraded to 26G tank, want to do it right this time. Please help. :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callisto9

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I finally caved and bought a 26G tank today. This one (without the stand). Aqueon 26 Gallon Deluxe Bow Front Aquarium Kit - Specialty Pet Month - Featured Products - PetSmart

I am still running my 6.6 gallon guppy death bin and that tank is cycled, but has seen 4 guppy deaths in it.

I really want this to work out. I think having a larger tank will be better for me since it'll allow more margin for error (though hopefully I won't have much) and more fish.

So, I have the API test kit and I know I need to cycle my tank. Since I've had four guppy deaths in my 6.6 tank, would using some media/water/gravel from that tank to get the cycle started on this tank be a bad idea? I do not know what is killing my PetSmart guppies, but I'm leaning towards them just being sub-par fish since all my parameters have been good in that tank for awhile.

I need to go out and buy a stand this weekend and get this setup in my bedroom. What substrate do people use? I used Eco Complete in mine since I have a planted tank. While it was OK for a 6 gallon tank, since it's pricey, it's going to be $$$ for a 26G tank. Anyone have a cheaper recommendation for a substrate for a moderately-planted tank? I do want to move my plants and snail over when the time comes. For now, I have anubias, java fern, amazon sword, anachris, moss balls, water wisteria and hornwort.

I want my tank to by low-tech. No ferts, no CO2. Maybe some root tabs.

So, I want to get going this weekend, but want to know if I can seed from my 6.6 tank. What do you think?

Thanks in advance. I'm hopeful, but skeptical at this point. My first tank hasn't been doing so well (except for my mystery snail. He's HUGE).

For a low tech tank you could just do regular gravel or sand. I have similar sized low tech tanks with those substrates and my plants do great, although I do use a little Seachem Flourish too. For any plants going directly into the substrate you'll also need root tabs too.

For a low tech tank you could just do regular gravel or sand. I have similar sized low tech tanks with those substrates and my plants do great, although I do use a little Seachem Flourish too. For any plants going directly into the substrate you'll also need root tabs too.
Thank you! Is there a particular kind of root tabs to use? Will the root tabs hurt the fish at all?

Well, I returned that tank today and downgraded to a 20G. It was too hard to find a stand for the 26G. So, once again...

If you're upgrading from the 6 gal, you could move the fish over to the new tank with the filter you have on there now and run it along with the new filter (or add the media from the 6 gal filter to the new filter and then fill the rest with new media). That'll instantly cycled the tank. Of course if there is any disease in the 6 gal you're potentially moving it to the new tank as well.

If you wanted to be safer, you could start from scratch with a fishless cycle in the new tank (adding ammonia, etc) and not use anything from the 6 gal. In the meantime you could watch the 6 gal and see how the rest of the fish do. If by the end of the cycle in the new tank the guppies seem to be doing well and there aren't any more signs of disease you could then move them over to the new tank. Four guppies in a 6 gal is very overstocked though and that in itself could be some of the causes of the issues you're seeing; you might be better moving them over to the new tank and then not add anything new until you're sure the guppies are healthy.

Right now there are only two guppies and a mystery snail in the 6 gallon. I am not doing anything else with that tank and am now focusing on the 20G.

I'd rather err on the side of cycling this new tank from scratch or doing a fish-in cycle on the new tank. Dip the plants in something to make sure no diseases transfer, move the snail over and get started.

Thank you for your advice!

Great! If you're going to be adding pure ammonia to the tank to cycle it I wouldn't add the snail; they don't like high amounts of ammonia either and a snail in a 20 gal isn't going to provide nearly enough ammonia to cycle the tank. Just FYI ;)

Great! If you're going to be adding pure ammonia to the tank to cycle it I wouldn't add the snail; they don't like high amounts of ammonia either and a snail in a 20 gal isn't going to provide nearly enough ammonia to cycle the tank. Just FYI ;)

I know. I want to do a fish-IN cycle with a couple of small...something or others. Haven't decided yet. I don't want to add ammonia to the tank.

Thanks again for your help! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom