using seeded media to kick start a cycle...questions:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

1.) how much seeded filter media do you need for a 20 gal tank?

2.) how long does the media need to have been in an established tank to be seeded?

3.) how long does the seeded media need to stay in the tank?

4.) can you put a piece in the filter and a piece in the gravel? will this help or hinder? i have a huge chunk of media

5.) How long will it take for the seeded media to cycle your tank with an appropriate dose of pure ammonia?

6.) if you are doing the fishless cycle for the first time, with seeded media (a large pad of filter floss), should i also add a dead shrimp? or just ammonia? or just a shrimp?

7.) help! any advice will be great. situation is: 20 gal tank, PFS, HOB 30 gal AC filter, heater, airstones, pure ammonia and access to shrimp and fish, but trying to cycle without adding anything alive, a few small swords, one large section of blue bonded filter floss from an established tank

The more media you can spare the better, but be sure that you don't remove too much to hurt your already cycled tank. Every tank cycles differently so I don't know if you'll get a "how many days" answer but it will be less than the 4 wks without it.

Yes, you can add some of the media to the new filter and some to the gravel. You want to leave it in for a couple of weeks after you're cycled (ammonia and nitrites both at zero and nitrates rising).

you can use either ammonia or a shrimp, just make sure if you use ammonia that you use PURE ammonia (no additives - no scents - if you shake it and it DOES NOT FOAM you should be ok).

I thought if the ammonia foams when shaken it has some sort of soap additive in it. ???

How old is the first tank? If it is well established you can move a lot of the media with n ill effects. You can just use fish food for an ammonia source. I just throw in a handful of freeze dried brine shrimp. My last tank cycled with established media took less than a week.

UCK --- really really bad typo in my original post !!! ... I'll amend it to include the words DOES NOT (see below) .... thanks for the catch Musket

if you shake it and it DOES NOT foam you should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom