Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennkp

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone! What in your opinion is the easiest way to change you water? Since I live in an apartment with open floor plan the kitchen is far from the tank in the living room & a gallon at a time is getting old! Especially with my little boy "helping". I feel like my bb is dying in the time it takes to complete a 50-70% water change since the filter is unplugged. I'm sure I'm not, I'm just I over analyzing.

Hey everyone! What in your opinion is the easiest way to change you water? Since I live in an apartment with open floor plan the kitchen is far from the tank in the living room & a gallon at a time is getting old! Especially with my little boy "helping". I feel like my bb is dying in the time it takes to complete a 50-70% water change since the filter is unplugged. I'm sure I'm not, I'm just I over analyzing.

What size thank and why the large water changes? Have you looked into the Aqueon water changer, makes life a breeze!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000YAJKL6

I have a 75 gallon and do 25-30% water changes weekly. Once in awhile I'll be a 50%.

I have a 30 gallon the reason for the large water changes was because my nitrites were staying high but no ammonia & nitrates were 10-20 ppm. While dealing with that I went ahead & switched the gravel to sand. I thought I had killed all of the bb since it took me a out 3 hours to do & even though I left some of the water from the tank in the next morning I had nothing. Everything was zero. The next afternoon though the ammonia had picked back up to .50 nitrates & nitrites were 0. So I did another large 60% or so to lower the ammonia & in 24 hours there was no ammonia nitrites & 10 nitrate. I'm fixing to test the parameters since it been about 48 hours since that test & we introduced new fish.

Ammonia 0ppm Nitrite 0ppm Nitrate 5ppm. Looks great! I'm thrilled to know I didn't kill the bb! Even though we lost 3 fish within 24 hours of bringing them home. 2 were struggling when we got them & pet supermarket was so busy we didn't notice until we got them home. The other I'm not sure what happened to him.

Attachments

• image-3436275823.jpg
    image-3436275823.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 45
for the fish-in cycle, dose it matter what kind or how many fish in the tank? its a 55 gal

for the fish-in cycle, dose it matter what kind or how many fish in the tank? its a 55 gal

I don't want to hijack the OP's thread. I'm answering because she's doing a fish in cycle and your question is on that topic.

If its a fish in cycle, usually it's done with fish your hoping to keep after the cycle. I did a 55 gallon African cichlid fish in cycle and have most of them to this day.

It's okay! But what I did was started with 6 Zebra danios & 4 died. One before I even got it home. A lot of people use them just for cycling but I however love how spunky they are. So this weekend when pet supermarket got a new order in I went & got 6 more. Unfortunately we only left with 5 bc the employee dropped one on the floor. I rescued him but didn't notice he was ours. 2 died before we got them home. My advice is get a hardy fish you want to keep. Now we have 1 angel 3 albino Cory's which are my favorite in the tank. Then we adopted a rainbow shark which we are moving to a larger tank in the next 2 months.

It's okay! But what I did was started with 6 Zebra danios & 4 died. One before I even got it home. A lot of people use them just for cycling but I however love how spunky they are. So this weekend when pet supermarket got a new order in I went & got 6 more. Unfortunately we only left with 5 bc the employee dropped one on the floor. I rescued him but didn't notice he was ours. 2 died before we got them home. My advice is get a hardy fish you want to keep. Now we have 1 angel 3 albino Cory's which are my favorite in the tank. Then we adopted a rainbow shark which we are moving to a larger tank in the next 2 months.

Sounds good! Sorry you loss some fishes :(

It's okay! I'm glad I've had this experience so that way ill know what to expect with the 60 gallon. I hate the danios died but they seemed pretty weak when we got them. It was all the very small maybe 1/2 inch long.

It's okay! I'm glad I've had this experience so that way ill know what to expect with the 60 gallon. I hate the danios died but they seemed pretty weak when we got them. It was all the very small maybe 1/2 inch long.

I hear ya, I used giant danios as dither fish in my African cichlid tank it worked for about a week :(

Oh no! I love cichlids I just don't want to be limited to one type of fish. I don't think my tank is over stocked but I'd love to add a fish or two with color that will mesh with my current stock. Now the are all white & gray except the shark but he's taken up the big tiki to the right.

Attachments

• image-4025981787.jpg
    image-4025981787.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 40
Sorry! 3 albino corys, 5 danios, 1 nickel sized angel, & the rainbow shark that's being moved. We also have about 12 ghost shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom