Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JM1101

Aquarium Advice Regular
So far when I do water changes I've been filling gallon jugs from the facet and letting it evaporate for a couple days before adding it. Can I use r/o water or mineral water from the store in those big jugs instead? Is 1 better than the other for the fish? I do a water change of about 3 gallons give or take every other day and so far this has worked well for me.

What kind of fish? Where does your tap water come from, is it well fed or city water?

How big is the tank?

The problem with bottled water is it is not all the same.

If you use R/O or some other low TDS water like certain distilled waters you will need to re-mineralize it.

Things labeled "spring water", "drinking water" and "filtered water" could be anything including tap water from somewhere else. You really need to test it to determine what you are getting.

Is there a reason you don't want to use tap water and why are you letting it evaporate for two days?

Just wondering if 1 was better than the other and i could have it on hand without needimg to have the lids off of all them for evaporation.

I've read if it evaporates for at least 24 hours all the chlorine will be gone

Be careful. These days, water supplies are often being switched to chloramines which don't work the same way.

Either way, the cost of dechlorinator would be probably be less than buying all that bottled water would be. A bottle of Seachem prime costs $8 and would last a long time on a 29g tank.

Then you could get a water changer that hooks up to your sink and make your life much easier.

Be careful. These days, water supplies are often being switched to chloramines which don't work the same way.

Either way, the cost of dechlorinator would be probably be less than buying all that bottled water would be. A bottle of Seachem prime costs $8 and would last a long time on a 29g tank.

Then you could get a water changer that hooks up to your sink and make your life much easier.
^^ + 1 too this ^^
Also to note RO is not what 99% of fish keepers should be using .
Especially without a TDS meter and an understanding of true water hardness[not ph....]

Back
Top Bottom