Water changes.....How do I do it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmac

Aquarium Advice Regular
Sounds like a dumb question, I know....but what is the best method to go about water changes? Specifically:

If I do a 10% change on my 30 gallon tank, thats 3 gallons.....I assume I ought to dechlorinate the water before I add it? I have tablets for 10 gallons of water, so I'll probably just break the tablet in half.

Also, how do I get the old water out to do the change? The gravel vacuum?

I am just getting started, so I haven't had to do this yet.....Any tips?

It's not a dumb question. It is one of the biggest aspects of tank maintenance.

You can use a gravel vac or a product such as a Python. The python attaches to your faucet and pulls the water from the tank. Turn the switch and water refills back into the tank. It is one of the best inventions ever made for aquariums and comes in 25' , 50' , 75' , and 100' lengths. No more buckets, pitchers of water, or saucers in the tank. You can add the dechlorinator before, during, or after adding the water. I add it while the water is pumping into the tanks.

The cheapest dechlorinator (that I have found) is Prime. It is heavily concentrated so it lasts a long time. It removes chlorine and chloramines. Are you on well water or city water?

Wow, thanks for the tip.

I live in a condo, I think I am either on town water or there is a local water treatment on the premisis that gives our water..... How does the Python not suck out fish? has a filter on the end or something? I'll take a look at the LFS now....

So its ok to add dechlorinator tablets to my tank with the fish in there?

Since you are not on a well, you'll need something to remove chlorine or chloramines. To find out which chemical the water company uses, test your tap water for ammonia. If there is a low positive reading (usually around .25 to .5), your water source most likely uses chloramines. If there is not a reading, they most likely use chlorine. But to be safe, we always use Prime. It takes care of both.

I don't know about the tablets. I've heard of some individuals using them and the fish tried to eat them. When you purchase the next stock of dechlor, I recommend getting a liquid kind such as Prime.

The python will suck up the fish if they get in the tube. Just watch the tube and wave them away if they come near it. I've only sucked up a fish once, a Cory cat. He was swimming in the tube when I noticed him so I just pulled it out of the water and off he went back into the tank. It's perfectly safe though. I think more people on AA use the Python (or like product) than buckets. Lee's also makes a cheaper version which can commonly be found at Wal-Mart.

The Python is awsome. If you did get a smaller fish sucked into the python, you can always change the water direction and blow him back out. I've had to do this once. Just turn the water pressure down, and reverse the flow so it's not too stressful on the fish. Then you can reverse the flow again and start removing water again. It's just like using a regular gravel vac, but hooked to the sink.

I just did my first water change! Picked up a top fin gravel vacuum for $13, it worked great.

Anyway its been about a week and the cichlids are doing fine, but tests showed the nitrates and nitrites rising, so it was time for my first water change....I dechlorinated it first.

Question, how soon do I test the water again?

Test your water a few hours after your water change in order to give the water time to have run through the filter to get an accurate reading.

better off, test before the pwc. or wait till the next day. Any chemicals such as prime can give false readings. I would imagine that if you are using tablets, they would take longer to dissolve and could give false readings even hours after the change. Highly recomend Prime. Lasts "forever".

Back
Top Bottom