Water changes/ substrate cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rubberbandboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I’m still fairly new to aquarium keeping and I just upgraded to a 20 gallon with a good amount of guppies and 2 bristle nose plecos. I just did a water change along with sucking the gunk from the gravel but there still seems to be a noticeable amount of stuff floating around the tank. Also when I took a water test after the water change my nitrate and nitrite levels were high. First, does anyone have tips on cleaning substrate (gravel) and second should I be concerned about the high levels of nitrate and nitrite or since I just stirred up the water the test will be a off. Thank you.

Is your tank still cycling? When was it started? You would only have nitrites in a cycling tank. And what are those numbers?

Is your tank still cycling? When was it started? You would only have nitrites in a cycling tank. And what are those numbers?

Prior to putting in the fish which have been in there for a week the tank had been cycling for about a month with plants and a few danios from another tank. The numbers are about 30 nitrate and 5 nitrite.

Back
Top Bottom