Water Paramiters / PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trilogy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just recently set up a 10 gal tank. It has been running now for 4 weeks. Currently there are 4 tiger barbs which all seem to be doing well and have gained more color since I brought them home.

Current tank water conditions are:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5
PH - 7.6 - 7.8
Temp - 77
PWCs - 25% weekly

So I guess I am fully cycled. Earlier I thought my PH was a little on the high side so I tested the water from the tap and the PH was 8.4. My question is can it be possible to have this much of a drop in the PH of the tank water?

I'm am definitely still learning. My tank I had as a kid, each month we would empty everything out scrub it clean and fill it up. What a pain that was to keep clean. I'm surprised the fish lived as long as they did. Glad I learned the correct way to do it this time. Much easier also.

Test your PH from the tap after it has set out overnight. I bet it close to the PH of the tank. It sure looks to me like you are cycled, congratulations, enjoy the tank.

I have tested my tap water, and it was also in the low-mid 8's. However, in the tank, the PH never goes above 7.6. So I assume that the PH of my tap water must drop somewhere.

I have not left the tap water out overnight yet to test...maybe I will tonight and see!

Back
Top Bottom