Water PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ItzKyle87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so Here’s a question... in my tank, the water Ph tests at a straight 6 (on both the API Ph bottle and the High Range Ph bottle.

But when I do the same tests on the water out of the tap, it measures a 6.6 on the Ph and a 7.4 on the high range.

Why would my tank water be so significantly lower than the tap? I’m assuming I want to somehow bump the Ph in the tank up a little bit? How can I do that?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Also, can someone explain to me the differences in Seachem Prime and Stability? I have both, but I just want/need some clarity on when the appropriate time to use each one is? Currently as I go, I use a cap full of each anytime I do even the smallest of water changes. But some clarity on this would probably help me out a ton. Thanks in advance

Also, can someone explain to me the differences in Seachem Prime and Stability? I have both, but I just want/need some clarity on when the appropriate time to use each one is? Currently as I go, I use a cap full of each anytime I do even the smallest of water changes. But some clarity on this would probably help me out a ton. Thanks in advance
Seachem prime is a water conditioner so it removes chlorine from the water and other metals. It also claims to detoxify ammonia and nitrite for a short period.

Seachem Stability is beneficial bacteria in a bottle. The beneficial bacteria are what causes your cycle. These products claim to cycle your tank, but this is rarely the case. At best they will speed up the time to cycle your tank down to weeks rather than months, at worst they do nothing.

Dose both as per the instructions. If your dosing is smaller than a cap size (5ml) then get a medical syringe to measure out how much you need. Over dosing a little wont hurt, but if you are putting a capfull in when you only need 1ml then that might be an issue. Its also wasteful.

Okay so Here’s a question... in my tank, the water Ph tests at a straight 6 (on both the API Ph bottle and the High Range Ph bottle.

But when I do the same tests on the water out of the tap, it measures a 6.6 on the Ph and a 7.4 on the high range.

Why would my tank water be so significantly lower than the tap? I’m assuming I want to somehow bump the Ph in the tank up a little bit? How can I do that?

Thanks for any advice in advance!
There are many things in a tank and natural processes going on that affect pH. I think most people see pH in tank water different to tap water. Driftwood will lower it, some substrates and rocks will raise it for instance.

Having said that 6 is on the low side. Most fish will acclimatise to a wide range of pH, but if you wanted to raise it get some crushed coral, put it in a media bag and put that in your filter.

There are many things in a tank and natural processes going on that affect pH. I think most people see pH in tank water different to tap water. Driftwood will lower it, some substrates and rocks will raise it for instance.

Having said that 6 is on the low side. Most fish will acclimatise to a wide range of pH, but if you wanted to raise it get some crushed coral, put it in a media bag and put that in your filter.

Thanks! Appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom