What Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

williedow339

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI, my tank has been set up for a week now and i have 6 x Zebra Danios to cycle it, Can any one recommend the best fish to keep with these, i would like a couple of bigger size fish for effect, i have a 180 ltr Fluval tank with external filtration. Thanks

HI, my tank has been set up for a week now and i have 6 x Zebra Danios to cycle it, Can any one recommend the best fish to keep with these, i would like a couple of bigger size fish for effect, i have a 180 ltr Fluval tank with external filtration. Thanks

You need to cycle first before adding anymore fish.

Yea i believe 4 to 6 weeks, but after that what are best type, i would like to keep discus but believe these zebra Danios will stress them?

Keep in mind there is no certain time frame for a cycle. Every tank is different. If you are a beginner I would advise against discus, I'm pretty sure they are not for beginners.

Keep in mind there is no certain time frame for a cycle. Every tank is different. If you are a beginner I would advise against discus, I'm pretty sure they are not for beginners.

Discus may not be what people consider a beginner fish but, personally to those people keeping them, when you got your first discus you were a beginner with them too. To be honest discus can be really finicky but, if you do your research I would say that you should be OK. The discus prefers a fairly large tank if you have a lot I would only recommend getting only two max with your tank size, they like soft water, but can be kept in hard water though not preferable, keep pH in between 6.0 and 6.5 but you can go up to 7.0 pH at max, and keep temps at 77° F to 85° F. I keep my discus tank at 80° F. But I agree you should make sure your tank is cycled first, and give it some time to establish itself get some things in the tank so the discus can hide and you will be in good shape.

Discus may not be what people consider a beginner fish but, personally to those people keeping them, when you got your first discus you were a beginner with them too. To be honest discus can be really finicky but, if you do your research I would say that you should be OK. The discus prefers a fairly large tank if you have a lot I would only recommend getting only two max with your tank size, they like soft water, but can be kept in hard water though not preferable, keep pH in between 6.0 and 6.5 but you can go up to 7.0 pH at max, and keep temps at 77° F to 85° F. I keep my discus tank at 80° F. But I agree you should make sure your tank is cycled first, and give it some time to establish itself get some things in the tank so the discus can hide and you will be in good shape.
Thanks for the advice i have read a bit about them and agree on what u say, they are a nice fish though and i do have plenty cover. i believe they get on ok with clown loach so maybe 2 of each and move up to a bigger tank once they grow.
decissions are not easy so much lovely fish to choose from.

Thanks for the advice i have read a bit about them and agree on what u say, they are a nice fish though and i do have plenty cover. i believe they get on ok with clown loach so maybe 2 of each and move up to a bigger tank once they grow.
decissions are not easy so much lovely fish to choose from.

You clown loaches are a good fish to have with the discus but beware they both grow really big I've seen discus that are 7-8 inches from top to bottom, and have also see clowns that get to about 9-10 inches long. So getting a larger tank would probably be a good idea as discus as well as clowns do best with more numbers of there species in a tank around 3-4 loaches and discus love being in a big shoal.

Also beware about mixing angelfish with discus, they sometimes carry diseases that they may be immune to but is extremely deadly to the other species, so if you do get angels now or in the future make sure to quarantine them in a separate tank and run some meds to kill parasites and whatever else you may not want in your tank if you suspect them of having it and go from there, also make sure you raise your discus to a good 3-5 inch size and get them established in the tank before adding angels if you ever happen to, as angelfish are very vigorous eaters and may spook your discus and also not allow the discus to get food as they are more lax about eating as they eat from the middle and bottom portions of the tank usually.

Back
Top Bottom