What fish can i put in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolffish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am a first time fish owner. Right now i have a 10 gallon tank with a power filter.I let the tank cycle natrualy for 4 days first.I heard that to help cycle the tank faster, and natrualy you could get hardy fish. So i looked on line and decided to get tiger barbs, neon tetras, and 1 cat fish. As i soon found out it was a big big mistake. Unfortinetly more than half the fish died. I did some more reserch and found out that you need to cycle the tank much longer. I felt so bad. I only have 1 barb, 3 neons and the cat fish left. I dont want any more of my fish to die and i heard that you could buy some bacterial supliment to instantly cycle the water. Has any one ever use it and dose it work well?

Yes, they probably died because of your tank not being cycled.
I have used BioZyme to cycle one of my tanks, and it only took a week to be finished. You can find it online somewhere, just try Googling it.
If you want to keep the fish you have in there alive, you should probably be doing partial water changes every day until you get your ammonia and nitrites down to 0. You should also get a test kit so you can see how much ammonia you have, and you can also check the nitrites and nitrates. Ammonia will kill your fish, which is probably what killed the other fish.
If I were you, I would look up fishless cycling to get an idea on how your tank should be progressing, even though you have fish.
I did the same thing, then THANKFULLY found this site, and was able to keep the fish alive by doing a million water changes every day for a month with the help of the people here. Make sure you use dechlorinator and the same temp water when you fill your tank back up.
Good luck!

Thanks you so much! Iv kept smaller fish like bettas and gold fish but nothing as large as a 10 gallon tank so i dident know what to do.

Try to get a liquid test kit too. Most people on here use the API Master Freshwater test kit. They are MUCH more accurate than the strips!
Did you find an article on cycling?

+1 on the liquid test kit. Check the water often and do a lot of PWCs to keep the ammonia and nitrite down.

Back
Top Bottom