What to keep in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earwig999

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is a UK 50 Litre, roughly 11 Gallons (UK) or 13 Gallons (USA). It currently has

1 x Zebra Danio
1 x Pearl Danio
1 x Bristlenose Plec
1 x Red Cherry Shrimp
1 x Unknown Shrimp (Sold as Red Cherry but looks like a Red Tiger)

I will not be replacing the Danio as I now know the tank is not big enough but shall keep them as long as I can.

Water temp is around 25 degrees c. so 77-78 f.
PH is around 8.0

Would like something small and interesting, but not too shy. I hardly see the plec as he is always at the back of the tank behind the filter or heater.

If you wanted to keep the pleco and danios you could go up to a 40g, that's the minimum for plecos since they get so darn big :) have you thought of dwarf gouramis? They are pretty cool and can have a variety of color. Barbs are neat, as well as tetras. The problem is they need a school and you already have fish that are a bit too big for the tank.

I've upgraded from a 15l to a 30l and now a 50l. All within about 6 weeks. I can't go any bigger, just yet.

I was told the Bristlenose Plec would only grow to 2"

earwig999 said:
I've upgraded from a 15l to a 30l and now a 50l. All within about 6 weeks. I can't go any bigger, just yet.

I was told the Bristlenose Plec would only grow to 2"

Bristelnose Plecos grow six inches, if it only grew two I'd think that would be either a stunted fish or a midget pleco.

You don't have to upgrade necessarily right now since your fish are still small. If you could get a twenty gallon long in a couple of months that will comfortably fit the danios so you could fill out their schools and enough tank room to support the BN's bioload and enough room for it to swim.

You could try cichlids. Bolivian rams and keyholes are some of easiest to start out with. Only one though.

From what I read, danios need to be in schools of 5 for a minimum.I think you should upgrade to a 35 so the danios have more swimming space since they are very active.

Back
Top Bottom