Wheres my fish gone???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Em29uk

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a case of disappearing fish, I had 2 Molly's , and a guppy male and 3 shrimps and 3 red cherry shrimps plus 2 snails. And a Molly fish has vanished :( please someone explain as I'm going out my mind

First look in and under all decorations in the tank incase they are stuck somewhere. Check the filter as it's happened that fish have gotten in them. Then check the floor. Also remember if they died in the tank the other fish/shrimp/snail could have eaten them.

First look in and under all decorations in the tank incase they are stuck somewhere. Check the filter as it's happened that fish have gotten in them. Then check the floor. Also remember if they died in the tank the other fish/shrimp/snail could have eaten them.

Thanks, I was away for 2 nights so I guess the fish might have died, my partner fed the fish but he wouldn't notice dead ones. The tank was terribly dirty n smelly when I got back too :(

If it was dirty and smelly then I'd bet the fish died... A rotting fish can quickly foul up a tank and cause the smell/dirt. About the only time they don't is in large planted systems. With that many shrimp and snails the corpse would be eaten to the point of no trace being left.

If the filter intake does not have a sponge or net type of cover on it, fish and shrimp can get inside it and end up inside the filter. Some survive this, some do not.. but the only way to tell is take the media out and check.

If the filter intake does not have a sponge or net type of cover on it, fish and shrimp can get inside it and end up inside the filter. Some survive this, some do not.. but the only way to tell is take the media out and check.

This is true with fry and shrimp but a healthy molly would not be sucked up by the intake, only happends when the fish is ether weak and unhealthy or very small.

I think that the mollys died and then got stuck under a ornament.

This is true with fry and shrimp but a healthy molly would not be sucked up by the intake, only happends when the fish is ether weak and unhealthy or very small. I think that the mollys died and then got stuck under a ornament.

I looked in the gravel cleaning tube and it looked like half of a dead fish was in there :(

I have had fish die while i was at school and when i get back they are gone via the snails. It sucks but it happens, or it could have jumped out or into the filter. Check all possibilities and do immediate water changes

I have had fish die while i was at school and when i get back they are gone via the snails. It sucks but it happens, or it could have jumped out or into the filter. Check all possibilities and do immediate water changes

+ 1 do lots of wc, usually fish jump when they are stressed. I have never had a fish jump but know many people who have. Test you water daily to see if there are any spikes . Good luck

Back
Top Bottom