why rapid breathing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needtoknow123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:fish2:why are our fish breathing rapidly? i'v read that they could be low on oxygen, they seem to be better when the water level is low enough for the tube with all the holes in it (pump?) to pour into the water and make bubbles. the bubbles give oxygen to the water don't they? my other half insists that this in not the case - PLEASE HELP:thanks:

Welcome to the forum! The turnover of the water at the surface is the primary source of oxygen, so as long as the surface is moving a bit the oxygen level is probably fine. Fish will also gasp in the presence of high co2, high ammonia and high nitrite. Have you tested the water? How long has the tank been set up?

Hi and welcome! As Jeta said high toxin levels can cause stress on the fish. If this is a new tank and wasn't cycled before you got fish, I'd suspect toxin poisoning. First thing would be to test your water with a good liquid test kit (API Master is best) to see what your ammonia, nitirte and nitrate levels are. If you don't have a kit, do a 50% water change with conditioner/dechlorinator (Prime is best but whatever you have on hand is fine). Try to match the temp of the new water to the water in the tank as best as you can (just feel both with your hand). Then get yourself a liquid test kit (strips aren't accurate) and read the following link. Daily testing and frequent water changes should help your fish through the cycle if that's what's happening:

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Back
Top Bottom