All dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow!
hopefuly you dont mean 5hrs. after yo set up the tank?
If so your tank didn't have time to cycle yet and that is what killed your fish.

hmmm,
So the tank just turned cloudy and the fish dyed?
Have to think on this one a minute.
Maybe some of the experts will see this thread and be able to help faster.

HEY ALLI. COME HELP...LOL

Did you test your water?
What were the results?
Do you do weekly water changes?
What type of fish do you keep?

Sorry so many ? but need info to figure this one out.

2 tangs, clown trigger, redlipped blenny, 2 mandarin dragonets, hawkfish, maroon clown
water changes weekly, 12%
we were going to start adding corals soon, so yesterday we added a calcium supplement (reef calcium by seachem) also new carbon.

we had also had some kent marine Rxp in there ....

we are just sick

OH SW HUH?
This is a whole different ball game now.
Sorry but Im a freshwater only.
Cant help much.
I am sorry about your loss tho.

You may want to post this up in the salt water section

ok you did.
this is my mistake I got to this post from the home page not from in the S/W section.

Guess I should pay more attention huh?

I am so sorry I cant help :cry:

you shouldn't dose Calcium unless you know what the parameters are. calcium AND Alk need to be balanced, so hopefully u tested for both prior to dosing. Also it is probly safer for you to use a two part buffer such as bi-onic. or you could simply drip a kaulk solution for evaporated water. which is most common i believe.

You havent mentioned water peramiters yet. Have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrite, ph, alkinity, calcium today?

do you have a sump with bio-balls?

i had a similar situation happen to me my wife cleaned the aquarium along with my bio-balls. the tank went through a whole cycle again.

hth

mark

no bio-balls or sump
so you can feel our pain....god this sucks
so what about the rock and substrate? how long did you let yours sit after the nightmare? is your tank successful these days?

sorry to hear that :( especially the mandarins, very hard to take care of and to lose it like that really sucks. I would really just sit down and examine everything you did yesterday and write it down. How much did you dose? When did you dose? Are you SURE you didnt put anything else in the tank? Are the heaters working? I mean simple stuff that you might overlook. Temp drop?

This bit of info...
belinda said:
the ph went from 8.2 yesterday to 7.4 this morning.
Combined with this....
belinda said:
we were going to start adding corals soon, so yesterday we added a calcium supplement (reef calcium by seachem)

Would suggest your chemistry is whacked and most likely precipitated heavily depending on the amount of calcium added. The precip itself would not cause the fish deaths but the ph bottoming out definately will or possibley there was an additional supp used that spiked the ph severely? Any ph swing that is more than 0.02 ± can greatly affect animal health

I would suggest you begin a series of 15% water changes over the next few days to bring the chem back to a more livable level. I would also strongly urge you to purchase proper alkalinity and calcium test kits to properly monitor these levels if you have not already. If you have these kits, please post the levels as well as the missed ones fishfreek suggested...
fishfreek said:
You havent mentioned water peramiters yet. Have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrite, ph, alkinity, calcium today?

Cheers
Steve

today
ammonia=0.25
ph first thing this morning was 7.4, since a 12% water change(also adding proper ph) it is now back to 8.2,
nitrite color on test kit does not match any range from 0 to 5.0
nitrate=80

normal levels
as checked once a week
ammonia=0
ph=8.2
nitrite=0
nitrates=10 sometimes 20

whoa, that nitrate is way too high. 10-20 is ok for a fo tank but 80 is way out of range. i might guess that the fish died from that huge nitrate spike which may have also caused a bacterial bloom making your water cloudy. anybody know how nitrates can get that high if weekly water changes are being done? thats really wierd.

Back
Top Bottom