Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Scuilli View Post
5 died, three damsils, a yellow tang, and a clown fish... Iv had them all for over three weeks... Idk what happen, the night before I put in stress coat cuz I noticed the yellow tangs skin a little faded...
Stress coat sounds like the problem. Sorry to hear about the fish.
__________________

__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Zactheninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 693
Stress coat will deplete oxygen in the water.

Also diet is very important.
__________________

__________________
Zactheninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
DJ Scuilli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 21
Ok thanks everybody , u did help me, I also have another question lol, my tank is looking clear now and it's looking pretty healthy, all of my levels are good too, when should I do a water change and how often?..
__________________
DJ Scuilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Scuilli View Post
Ok thanks everybody , u did help me, I also have another question lol, my tank is looking clear now and it's looking pretty healthy, all of my levels are good too, when should I do a water change and how often?..
Maybe you should get a dog?
__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Mcmcoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley73 View Post
Maybe you should get a dog?
Dang man, no need to be an *** about it. I'm sure there was a day when you were new to this and were asking all the same questions. The reason these forums exist is for those of us who are not marine biologist and need a place where we can get informed help, not be mocked for questions that you may think are silly.
__________________
Mcmcoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #26
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmcoker View Post

Dang man, no need to be an *** about it. I'm sure there was a day when you were new to this and were asking all the same questions. The reason these forums exist is for those of us who are not marine biologist and need a place where we can get informed help, not be mocked for questions that you may think are silly.
Im sure he was joking, no need to say that...
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Mcmcoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Scuilli View Post
Ok thanks everybody , u did help me, I also have another question lol, my tank is looking clear now and it's looking pretty healthy, all of my levels are good too, when should I do a water change and how often?..
I would recommend doing a 20 to 30% water change once a week depending on your setup. If you have a skimmer and refugium you might be able to get away with less frequent pwcs
__________________
Mcmcoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
DJ Scuilli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 21
*******, even tho the water looks clear and perfect?
__________________
DJ Scuilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
DJ Scuilli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 21
I feel like I'm taking the good stuff that the fish needs out if the water.. Y do them so much?..
__________________
DJ Scuilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 31
Every body has different ideas on water changes, at the minute I suggest you need to do them as you have a problem. Think of it as taking the bad water out and replacing it with fresh. It does sound like you have overdosed the stress coat, I would always do a water change rather than adding any chemicals, good luck
__________________
katsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #31
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Scuilli View Post
I feel like I'm taking the good stuff that the fish needs out if the water.. Y do them so much?..
Do wc 5% every week and no your not, you are takeing rotting food, and excess nutrients out of the water so what did happen wont happen again
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
Im sure he was joking, no need to say that...
I was just joking. Chill
__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
Do wc 5% every week and no your not, you are takeing rotting food, and excess nutrients out of the water so what did happen wont happen again
I do 20% a week now on my 4ft sometimes more as i dont have s skimmer. Fresher the better i have found. I did 50% a week when had africans and they were extremely healthy beautiful fish.
__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #34
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley73 View Post

I do 20% a week now on my 4ft sometimes more as i dont have s skimmer. Fresher the better i have found. I did 50% a week when had africans and they were extremely healthy beautiful fish.
You have a sump?
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
You have a sump?
Not yet i dont.
__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #36
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley73 View Post

Not yet i dont.
Ok so what do you as filtration? If you dont have sump or a skimmer, and im guessing its a 55g? Right?
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
Ok so what do you as filtration? If you dont have sump or a skimmer, and im guessing its a 55g? Right?
Aquis 1200 series 2 cannister filtre which i fully clean weekly. About 10kg live rock. About 30lt week water change.
__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #38
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley73 View Post

Aquis 1200 series 2 cannister filtre which i fully clean weekly. About 10kg live rock. About 30lt week water change.
Ok i was just checking, you need more live rock like 20-30 more lbs, what other fish do you have? Sorry to hijack the thread... Ashley pm this ok.
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ashley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
Ok i was just checking, you need more live rock like 20-30 more lbs, what other fish do you have? Sorry to hijack the thread... Ashley pm this ok.
Cant pm you as you have exceeded Your PM quota it sais.
__________________
Ashley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Mcmcoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Scuilli View Post
I feel like I'm taking the good stuff that the fish needs out if the water.. Y do them so much?..
I personally recommend doing the 20 to 30% ac per week because like katsam said you are removing rotting food excess nutrients as well as replacing depleted trace elements that don't show up on test. Even if your water parameters test good and the water is clear it's still a good good thing to do to maintain a happy and healthy aquarium. And Ashley I am fairly new to the hobby as well so sorry if I got a little defensive
__________________

__________________
Mcmcoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.