All shrimp died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristy3693

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I am puzzled. I bought 3 peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp about 2 1/2 weeks ago and they all died. I was hoping they were molting, but yesterday the last body drifted out and it wasn't a clear shell. I have a 35 gallon tank, so it is easy to keep track of my critters. Everyone else is great, starfish, emerald crab, hermit crabs, snails, 3 pajama cardinals, and watchman goby.
All my tests are coming out good. Temp around 77.5. Salts at 1.025.
I went on vacation for a week recently. My friend was doing water top offs and didn't add enough. My salt got to 1.026. Any ideas....they really are dead. I held on to the "molting" idea for awhile. But they are all gone.

Do you use tap water for top offs? A lot of times there are copper traces in it and that'll surely kill shrimp quick. Sorry about your losses.

Nope, I use RODI water I buy at the LFS. and I buy the premade saltwater for my changes from them too.
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5
Phos 0/.03
Alk in meg/L is 2.85
Ph, in morning was 8, evening 8.3

Alk and phos test kits are by salifert.
The ammonia, trites, trates is with the API saltwater master kit.

All kits are less than a month old, and I have my LFS double check. They also said my calcium was fine. (I don't have that kit)

My tank is about 6 weeks old, I got my shrimp at the end of my diatom bloom. Had a little apstasia, so got the peppermints. Really bummed about my cleaner too! I cycled fast (2 1/2, 3wks), I had 30 lbs of live sand and 30 lbs of live rock.

Thank you everyone for your help!!! So appreciated!

I would get a copper test kit.

The live rock you have may have once been in a system that was treated or something. But, that is the only thing I can think of.

Back
Top Bottom