Anemone - Thought it was dying (Pictures)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbkelowna

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Recently I bought a new Anemone. Today, it seemed to be dying. It shrank to very small and was barely moving. When it was shriveled it look like the first picture (100_5353.jpg, 100_5356.jpg). After a few hours, it came back to life (100_5369.jpg ). Just thought others might like to see the pictures in case they are worried about there Anemone. Another odd thing is, that a damsel (the black one in picture) has taken to the Anemone as a clown fish might. Sleeps in it.

Attachments

• 100_5353.jpg
    100_5353.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 235
  • 100_5356.jpg
    100_5356.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 230
  • 100_5369.jpg
    100_5369.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 185
What kind of lighting do you have? What size tank? What are the parameters? All are key elements to try to figure out what may be wrong.

Everything is fine now. The water is perfect, even took it in for testing at the pet store. I thought it might be pooping, but it did not. So maybe it was just having a bad day. The damsel making it's home in it is another mystery though.

Biggest factor for anemones is your lighting. With out a sufficient light, it will basically starve. That's why A1 was asking about your setup. You should really consider buying your own liquid test kits. They will give you the piece of mind that you know for sure your tank is fine and will be very useful if something goes wrong and you need to narrow down the problem quickly.

I just have the florescent light bulb that came with my tank. It is a 30 gallon tank. Can you recommend the best type of lighting? The tank is actually underneath a sky light in my apartment. I have had it set up for a few months now. I will look into buying a liquid test kit. thank you very much for the tips.

That is not enough lighting for the anemone by far. You need at least 36x3 T5HO or 150watts MH for an anemone in that tank size. Please, take it back to the fish store if you can. Also, not having a test kit probably means you don't have the knowledge to maintain it for very long even if you get the lights. Nems need very precise water conditions, more so than the basic Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH test you will get at the pet store.

I agree wiith all the advice you'veb een given so far.
I'll add few things. Clowns do NOT need an anemone. They will host almost anything (e.g. frogspawn or hammerhead corals). Nem's shrivel and expand regularly.
Lighting in your tank will not support anything but fish. You need multiple T5, MH, or quality LED lighting if you want to start adding corals, etc.

:soap: My anemone rant!
Sorry, but anemones will never live a full life in our tanks. That anemone can gow to 2+ feet in the ocean and live 30+ years. I had one that survived over two years in my established tank and it grew to over a foot. That's in a 125 gallon tank with a deep sand bed (6" - 9").
You don't really hear of many anemones living 5 years+ in our tanks. Most perish in the first few months.
I for one will never buy an anemone again. If enough people do the same we will self regulate the industry and stores will stop carrying them.
Clown fish do NOT need an anemone to host. My wild caught true percula are now hosting a frogspawn. Clown fish will host almost anything given time.

Back
Top Bottom