Brown "green star polyps" - help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm Wondering why my 'green' star polyps are turning brown? I had posted this before, but didnt have a picture / didnt get much answer because of it. I did a PWC today, but they have been looking brown for some time, with just a bit of green on the tips.. nothing like at the LFS. Normally I have just my PC lights on ( 50/50 2x96 watt) with the polyps placed at the top of my rock ( which is about half way up the tank). I have been turning on the one MH to see if it would help.. no luck yet.

My parameters seem good
ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate about 10ppm, phosphate ( as far as I can tell 0.1ppm or less, very very light green) temp about 79 degrees, ph about 8.3, calcium at the moment - 400-420ish ( color was inbetween)

Are they losing their zooanthae hense losing thier coloring? Any ideas of whats going on/ how to fix it? Or is this normal? I havent had any spreading of this coral as I thought I might I've had it for about 2-3 months... almost seems to be shrinking. I'm frustrated..

thanks again for the help!

Attachments

• polyps.jpg
    polyps.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 220
They look closed. Either not enough light or low salinity or worse some ammonia or nitrite problem..I think not enough lights though.

They look open most of the time, I'll try and get a better picture.. its just they're all brown. I did forget to post my salinity ( sorry! ;) ) its about 1.023 right now. Do you thin kI should be keeping the MH's on for these?

If all your readings are Okay and they are open, then I think you don't have enough actinic lights to bring out the green in the corals.

Back
Top Bottom