Can this be true???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all this question concerns mostly Powder Blue tang owners. I was reading in the concentious Marine Aquariust trying to do some homework on them as I want one as the super-star for my tank. It says that most of them just keel over for no apparent reason after about 3 months. Is this still true I know the book is a little old, 2001. I would never want to get something that was sure to die. Is there a trick to them that I should know prior to beginning my search? I am still in the research phase so I thought I would ask now instead of when I have one in the tank and am all panicked :) I know some of you know me from previous posts and are thinking hey he only has a 55 gallon. Yes but the 90 gallon is sitting in the basement already got it this weekend. Just gotta get a stand and better lighting before I set it up so the tang will only be in the 55 6 months tops :)

Doan

I have had my PB for over 2 years now. Its true the PB tanks are very sensitive to disease and often fall ill with a disease if not kept in a low stress enviorment.

A 90 is a much better enviorment for the PBT than the 55 for sure. Mine likes to make quick bursts from one end of the tank to another. So the larger the tank the better for these fish.

Thanks fishfreek. Yeah that is why I bought the tank already I know that I will NEED to upgrade to have a PBT I just couldn't get everything I will need in one shot due to finance constraints but I am getting a little something more every few weeks so It shouldnt be too long before it's up. Are there any tricks I should know? Or will just a 3 week qt and careful attention to his health be enough? I already bought another cleaner as well so there are 2 in there now just in case anthing small finds him. I know that they are not a cure all but if a small parasite sneaks in with the water on a new frag or something it is at least better than nothing.

Thanks for the help

Doan

PBTs have always been one of my favorite marine fish. I find them quite hardy when QT'd & acclimated properly. Picking the perfect PBT is also important. I see so many PBTs in LFS that are in poor condition. They're usually faded or blotchy or scratching. They are one of the most aggressive tangs out there though IMO. I find that once you place a PBT into your tank, no other tang can be safely introduced. The PBT will harrass, nip & injure any new additions. I've even experienced where the PBT will do the same to any other species of marine fish when added afterwards, but the harassment usually ends after they show dominance & a nipped fin or two.

If you get one from the LFS make sure to ask how long they've had it and if copper is running through their system. As with all tangs they shouldn't be kept in copper for a long time. It'll eventually lead to death later.

I had about a 6 inch powder blue that I kept for about 2 years (before selling). I found it to be a very durable fish. I had a decent sized yellow tang (bout 4-5 inches) in the tank prior to putting the PB in. The PB took a few days to warm up to the tank but then went to work establishing dominance over the yellow. It's really interesting to see how they use the spike/barb on their tail. I started him in on live brine and continued with frozen brine and some of that frozen combo suff (sponge, brine, etc).

It's a spectacular looking fish. Actinic lights really bring out the powder blue color in contrast to the yellow dorsal.

Back
Top Bottom