caribian fireworm eating cloves :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tooldini

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,, I have had a caribian fire worm in my reef tank for over 3 months and he never seemed to bother anything. I recently got some Neon green clove polyps that were beautiful. I got up one morning after having them for a couple weeks now I only have 2 polpys out of five or so :( When I shut the lights out tonight I waited then seen him come out and was going right after the cloves. I moved them since I had glued them to a shell. I have other cloves he doesn't bother because he never really leaves the area of on live rock it seems. NOW I NEED HIM GONE!!! What is the best way to remove him? He seems to be pretty long. Will a trap work or should I just bait him away with a silver side and manually try? of course I want the easiest. Any ideas will help.

thanks
Jeff

These animals are voracious predators and will feed on hard and soft corals. I had a huge bearded fireworm in my tank that injured my rose BTA. They are very destructive in a reef environment. Careful removal is the best method. Do not touch it. They can be pretty fast. You can try a baited trap to get rid of it. steve-s suggested I get a small length of panty hose, put some shrimp in it and loosely tie the ends with string. the fireworm will crawl inside and it's bristles will become entangled in the material. I got luck and found mine moving in to finish the job on my BTA and snatched it up with a pair of tongs.

Here are some pics of the one I cought.

Attachments

• copy__5__of_uploadable_pics_001_585x438_324.jpg
    copy__5__of_uploadable_pics_001_585x438_324.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 78
  • copy__3__of_uploadable_pics_007_585x438_424.jpg
    copy__3__of_uploadable_pics_007_585x438_424.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 97
Thanks,, that looks just like mine,, only mine is more purple but it could be the lighting. Well it looks like he or someone finished them off last night sometime. You know were I can get anymore Bright green clove polyps for under 50.00. He will be gone by the end of the weekend.

thanks
Jeff

Thanks,,, I am gonna trap him tonight hopefully LOL dirty bastard ate all of them. I got them for $20.00 at LFS.

Jeff

one survivor

I had one polyp I found near a rock. I glued it to a shell. I haven't caught the fire worm yet I tried the knee high trick and baited with krill he didn't fall for it. I guess I won't sleep tonight and hope he comes for the last one LOL

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom