Clam not opening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MahiMahi

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had this clam about 6 months atleast (pic 1) . I recently bought another clam Bc I thought I had these guys under control and since I've added 2nd clam my original one has slowly started to receed and now about a week later it has no mantle showing and is closed up except maybe 1/4 in. The new clam (pic 2) was opening fully for a first day and at LFS but closed soon after.Nothing else has changed recently except for the addition of the new clam , could this have brought a parasite or something w it? My water parameters are good
Dkh 10
Cal 400
N 0
Temp 80

I'm pretty positive this is something from the new clam . Should I fresh water dip it?

image-1682587318.jpg

Attachments

• image-97624731.jpg
    image-97624731.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 111
Here they are as of today , I don't know the specific names for these guys either , a lil help?

Attachments

• image-1101496821.jpg
    image-1101496821.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2038708763.jpg
    image-2038708763.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 121
First looks like a maxima and the other might be a derasa clam. Either way, they aren't extending their mantles. Have their been any small snails on them? With the corals it looks like lighting should be fine, but what is it just for reference?

Check for tiny snails around the base of the clam. Also look for what appears to be a clear mucous.

There is a clear mucus around the foot

Attachments

• image-1801152673.jpg
    image-1801152673.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 108
First looks like a maxima and the other might be a derasa clam. Either way, they aren't extending their mantles. Have their been any small snails on them? With the corals it looks like lighting should be fine, but what is it just for reference?

Custom LEDs
Cree rapid fire w 6 whites 10 blue

That mucous might be the clam building the bond that will hold it in place. The mucous I am referring to would come from a clam predator called oenone fulgida. It's a worm resembling a bristle worm. It spews that mucous over the clam and smothers it to death, then burrows a hole through it's shell and eats it clean.

That mucous might be the clam building the bond that will hold it in place. The mucous I am referring to would come from a clam predator called oenone fulgida. It's a worm resembling a bristle worm. It spews that mucous over the clam and smothers it to death, then burrows a hole through it's shell and eats it clean.

Weird! That's what I thought to , it was just its foot . Hmm

First pic looks familiar

Attachments

• image-1536027944.jpg
    image-1536027944.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 132
Back
Top Bottom