Clam titling to side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

techiegirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a Maximus clam... got it maybe 2-3 weeks ago.
I tried to put it on the rocks but it kept getting knocked over by snails, so it is now on the sand. I poistioned it facing up, but it has been starting to tilt to the side a little bit more and more.
Should I move it so it is facing up again or leave it alone?
The PC lights are on for 9 hours every day if that helps.
thanks! :)

you will wan to keep the mantle (top) facing up. How many watts per gal. of PC lighting do you have? Max. clams require some pretty intense light in order to survive. Most of their nurtients comes from the light...Lando

put it on a flat rock buried in the sand, so that the top is level with the sand bed and put your cla on that, this will give it something to attatch to.

Are you positive that the clam is getting knocked over by the snail? Reason I ask is because clams will move if they are un-happy with the location they are in. Clams have been know to "cliff dive" off live rock when unsatisfied with it's spot.

My Maxima clam moves around a bit. Mostly it just tilts and rotates towards the window trying to get some lights. Than when the MH lights come on it points directly straight up.

My clam seems to move around completely on his own....and he always seems to end up with the right side facing up. Could be that yours is trying to find a better angle to the light..?

Unless you have an extreme amount of PC lights & a shallow tank, your Maxima will not thrive. It may start to lose color & bleach. Maximas & Croceas do much better with metal halide lighting, some will say it is a must.
Place a small flat piece of live rock rubble next to or under the clam on the sand bed & give it a couple of days to a week to attach to the rock. Then you can move it up higher in the rockwork so that it has a chance to survive.

Back
Top Bottom