Do I have aptasia? (pictures)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironmanxl1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I think I know what aptasia looks like but I wanted to make sure. I just got live rock and they are all over.

Rockwork001.jpg

Rockwork003.jpg

Rockwork004.jpg

Rockwork008.jpg

Rockwork010.jpg

i'm no expert, but ive seen a few pictures of aptasia and that looks like it

thats what they look like to me.... A pest and need to be nuked ASAP.
I hear joes juice works or kalk paste. Good luck

I bought some Stop Aptasia from the LFS and killed two of them just to see if it worked.
I'll kill the rest as soon as the tank is done cycling.

is that LR.com rock? I thought that that's what I had all over my rock.. I knew what they were but hoping they weren't..... I hate killing animals.. especially after reading about anemones in this book I have, it reads that some can live to be centuries old. that sucks that I have to kill a poor little animal! :roll: But I know the consequence, so I guess I have to.. :(

so to get rid of these things u have to buy something like joe's juice or something..I've read that peppermint shrimp is a cold water shrimp and the banded butterfly fish gets too big and is too aggressive.. btw.. ur tank looks like mine with all the aptasia..:)

yeah that's all lr.com rock. great looking rock but aptasia city. Are all the pictures aptasia? I only took pictures of the big ones..there are plenty of small ones too :roll:

they reproduce quickly and kill fish and corals and other anemones.. basically they take over your tank.. in this book that I have it calls it "devil's plague".

I have aptasia in my tank also. They arent that big yet... but my fish and inverts dont seem to mind. Nothing has died so far. I bought 2 peppermint shrimp cuz i heard they eat the stuff, but they dont seem to be doin a good job. Should i really be that concerned about this stuff (aptasia)???

where can i get this "joes" juice?

THANKS

www.joesjuice.com and peppermint shrimp is a cold water shrimp.. it'll prolly die soon anyway.. I've heard about Berghia verrucicornis which is a nudibranch, I heard they eat up aiptasia... I think I have some tiny nudibranchs in my tank don't know what kind, they're really small..

Oceanicsublimat said:
www.joesjuice.com and peppermint shrimp is a cold water shrimp.. it'll prolly die soon anyway.. I've heard about Berghia verrucicornis which is a nudibranch, I heard they eat up aiptasia... I think I have some tiny nudibranchs in my tank don't know what kind, they're really small..

Cold water shrimp?? My peppermint shrimp have been alive for about 2 weeks now. Y do u say that they will die? Dont cleaner shrimp thrive in the same type of conditions as a peppermint shrimp??? I was led to believe that peppermint shrimp would do fine in my FOWLR tank.

I'm just reading my book. and it appears there are a couple peppermint shrimps... Lysmata californica and lysmata wurdemanni, the latter being the one that lives in more temperate waters..the one that lives in cold waters is clear with mottled red stripes.. the other is solid red with thin white stripes goin down thorax or abdomen...

I'm glad I checked that..I'm gonna get me a few of these shrimp, and some joe's juice or something for the larger ones... it says the larger are better pedators of aiptasia.. maybe ur's are still too small.. just don't feed em till ur aiptasia are gone..

Back
Top Bottom