First newb pitfall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeyPB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a choco chip starfish two days ago, and I think he's a gonner.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Temp 79
Salinity 1.024

I think my tank either wasn't established well enough or he had a bad breakfast. He was doing fine this morning. There was a small snail next to him on the glass and he was moving towards it. A couple minutes later, the snail was nowhere to be found...no shell; nothing. I'm not completely sure if he ate the snail, shell and all, but it's possible. Not sure if that would harm him, but nonetheless -- he's not looking good now. Poor fellow :(

Before missing snail
img_1418811_0_ee8ff42d3a58511817c3deaa070baa25.jpg

3 hours later
img_1418811_1_eba06909f46e22ae31499df7cee0bc7e.jpg

Well...he seems to be better now. He's moving around the tank, so that's a good sign. I'm going to try feeding him soon and see how that goes.
img_1419076_0_52512ae1be16de6d9c9409ea07b540e6.jpg

That would turn out too much like some of my past relationships. I couldn't bare reliving it. Lol

You aren't planning on going reef with this are you? Chocolate chips aren't reef safe.

But they are great food for the harlequin shrimp mentioned above. ;-)

I am planning on getting some reef eventually, at least 6 months down the road. I want to be sure to have a well established tank before taking that plunge. When the time comes, I'm going to take him back to the LFS or as mentioned, get a harlequin.

Back
Top Bottom