Goniopora not opening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vmalpi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Nitrates between 10-20
Ph 8.4
Calcium 450+
Phosphate 0.1
Temp 75
Lighting PC

Does this behavior indicate its death? (see picture) It has been closed for about a week, opening up only once a few days ago, and then retracting to what you see in the picture.

Attachments

• dsc02443_882.jpg
    dsc02443_882.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 459
Goniopora doesn't fare well in aquaria; however, there is a certain aquarist who is having success with them and even propagating them. I've always noticed them taking a liking to water flow and sometimes coaxed out with feedings (phyto, nauplii, cyclop-eze, etc). You mention pc's, but how large of a display and what type of pc setup (watts?)?

I had one too - when everything else was excelling, a purple flower pot slowly withered away. They're hard to keep. Some say they need some levels of dissolved organics in the water to feed off of... but that's just what I've heard.

Innovator said:
Goniopora doesn't fare well in aquaria; however, there is a certain aquarist who is having success with them and even propagating them. I've always noticed them taking a liking to water flow and sometimes coaxed out with feedings (phyto, nauplii, cyclop-eze, etc). You mention pc's, but how large of a display and what type of pc setup (watts?)?

I have 65watts x2...

I had the Goniopora for 3-4 months now, this just started happening now..

This sounds typical of Goniopora and Alveopora, where within 1yr time they begin to close up and gradual decline ensues. Do take notice if any brown jelly masses begin appearing in the coming weeks/months, which is also typical. For now, you can try coaxing the polyps out with small phyto feedings, but this also might be too early to make any hasty decisions. Check back if any noticeable signs of gradual decline become apparent. By the way, what size display is this?

Back
Top Bottom