help ! fish are dying quickly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin-tastic Aq

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a sudden loss of fish in my mini reef it's a well established tank and all test's have shown no signs of trouble .
My tomato clown (male) female is now skitzen ,the bi color blennie and the purple fire fish all died within minutes of one another im wondering if my anemones had anything to do with it .
im told that some anemones release a toxic film into the water .would anyone know if the purple tip florida coast anemones fall into this catagorie also there is one all white one . im at a total loss here i have picked up every book i have and can not come up with a valid reason for this to happen the other fish are doing good right now but if i can find the trouble before it gets to the others i would appreciate any help
the other fish are

pgmy angel
scotter gobie
mandrin gobie
and the other tomato clown
plus my shrimp and turbo snails

My tomato clown (male) female is now skitzen ,the bi color blennie and the purple fire fish all died within minutes of one another im wondering if my anemones had anything to do with it .

What were the symptoms of death. The suddeness would indicate a toxin of some sort or trauma. Due to the continued survival of the other fish, right now I'm betting on trauma. Also post your water parameters and as much info on your tank as possible so we can rule out other things.

37 gallon 1.023 salinity 0 am. 0 nitrite 10 ppm nitrate calcium 450 ppm 0 copper ph 8.2 78 degrees
wet dry filter system with live sand and plenty of critters in the sump along with a seaclone 100 skimmer

there are pimple mushrooms (fairly new to tank ) 3 anemones 2 purple tip 1 all white 1 leather 45 lbs live rock with lots of critters various red and green mushrooms, a small crop of xenia
the funny thing about the blennie is i still havent found him (MIA)
the dealer told me that these anemones will not harm my fish ...but the guy who told me seemed about as interested in answering me as i would be in jumping off a biulding.
i cant seem to find a direct answer if these anemones are the type to release a toxic film as a defense mechanism
SYMPTOMS
the clown seemed to be breathing heavy and shedding ( the clown fish disease ?)
the fire fish jush went and kealed over (no symtoms) minutes after fishing out the clown and the blennie was missing , i seen him( the blennie) 5 minutes prior and as i was looking for him i noticed the clowns odd symtoms, now the female clown seems to be acting out of caracter smimming up by the filter output tube, swimming in tight circles , rubbing against the rocks
neither clown wanted anything to do with the anemones the male took to the xenia and the female likes the feather duster

if you need more information i'll send it asap

thanks for any help

pgmy angel
scotter gobie
mandrin gobie
and the other tomato clown

Prior to your recent fish deaths, this tank was overcrowded. You should reconsider the mandarin, unless it is eating prepared foods, it will morethan likely deplete the tank of pods in a short period. The fuge will help, but not sure it can keep up.

the funny thing about the blennie is i still havent found him (MIA)

It is possible that the blenny was eaten by one of the anemones. I get the impression these were new additions to the tank.

i cant seem to find a direct answer if these anemones are the type to release a toxic film as a defense mechanism

Well, you haven't told us what type of anemone it is. From another post I am assuming they are Condylactus gigantea. FWIW, I don't know of any anemone that releases a toxic film into the water, anemones have nematocysts for defense and host anemones also have the added protection of clownfish.

the clown seemed to be breathing heavy and shedding ( the clown fish disease ?)

Yep, this certainly sounds like brooklynella hostilis. It is a parasitic infestation and is quite contagious.
This might help.

now the female clown seems to be acting out of caracter smimming up by the filter output tube, swimming in tight circles , rubbing against the rocks

She could be showing signs of brooklynella or ick, hard to tell from the description. The fish should be removed from the tank and quarantined, all of them.

neither clown wanted anything to do with the anemones the male took to the xenia and the female likes the feather duster

If the anemones are Condylactus, they are not host anemones. I have seen some clowns that will go into Condys, but most won't, especially if there is another suitable surrogate host around.

Quarantine them and treat them with what ?

it seems that medication does more harm then good , is there anything particular that works without harming the fish.
i have had no luck with anti-biotic cure-alls in the past with fresh water fishes

the mandrin has been in the tank for 7 months , i would hate to get rid him

Quarantine them and treat them with what ?

Hyposalinity, it will be effective against Brooklynella and ick.

cure-alls

As with humans, there is no such thing ;)

the mandrin has been in the tank for 7 months , i would hate to get rid him

Either your mandarin is eating prepared foods, or the fuge is doing a better job than I thought it would (y)

sounds like a great idea to me...but the fun still lies in getting these little suckers out of there home tank ....
thanks for the advice , I will try to follow it as closely as possable.

(note)
not to sound like a dummy but what are pods :?:
critters that the mandrin is eating from the rocks ?

salt is very new to me

Fin-tastic Aq said:
(note) what are pods :?:
critters that the mandrin is eating from the rocks ?

Copepods are the main diet of mandarins. They will also "snack" on certain flatworms.

Here is some info for you Copepods, Amphipods

Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom