Help! Red Sea Star possessed by demon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dgameman1

Aquarium Advice Activist
My sea star started doing this a day or two ago. What is happening!!!

GNrPjn4.jpg

dqE8HIO.jpg

My guess is that he was exposed to air when you added him to the tank. They cannot be exposed to air for even seconds.

Is that it's flesh falling off? It's probably about to die, they don't do well in captivity

Serpent stars for a reef tank. No true stars really do well in captivity

Unfortunetaly it appears he's dying. Linkia stars are quite difficult and don't often do well in captivity.
There are several factors that could've contributed to his death. If you've had him a few days, chances are he wasn't acclimated properly. They're extremely sensitive to changes water parameters.

You don't want to take him out alive, and toss him, but once he falls off the glass, it's time. IMO.
A dead linkia is very bad for the tank.

Once the star is exposed to air there is no hope. They will certainly die. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Linknias are difficult but they can be done. They need to be in a mature tank of at least a couple yrs old. When you get one you MUST make sure it is not exposed to air for even seconds. Watch the LFS put it in the bag underwater. When you get home Take some of the LFS water out and add some of your tank water. Do this about 4 or 5 times and then it should de diluted enough of the LFS water that you can quickly put the bag under water and bring the star out and quickly bring the bag out. If you have a mature tank he will find microbes to eat.

With Linkias, slowly dripping water into the to bag for at least 2 hours until the parameters in the bag match the tank. This is crucial.

So many times I have read that stars must not touch air, yet so many times I see stars in tanks that have climbed the glass and stuck their arms out of the water and seem to suffer no ill effect, does this depend on the type of star or are they simply suicidal

As I said sticking their legs out is ok. Where the problem is when the mouth is out. They know how far they can go. I have seen it many times. You can check my album to see all the linknias I have had.

Back
Top Bottom