How long after ick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizArd418

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ick hit my reef tank and killed everything but my goby. I setup a little QT tank for him and he hasn't shown any signs of the parasite. How long before I can put him back in the show tank? With the last fish dying, it has been 3 weeks with no fish in my show tank.

Sorry to hear about your losses. :-(

I've heard that 6 weeks is the norm for being completely sure the ich is gone. It could be less, thats just what I hear.

Good luck with your goby!

I'd wait 8-9 weeks if it was me Is the goby stressed? if not what can it hurt? warm the DT to 80* this will speed up the life cycle of the ick. it needs a host to survive.

Thanks. Other than being in a 10 gal, my goby is great. He's eating, burrowing, and coming out when the light is on. I put the tank at 80 3 weeks ago...been hearing 3 weeks is enough time to let the ick cycle and die off. Want to be sure before restocking.

Here is a link someone else gave me, I'm currently treating the only two survivors of an ich outbreak in a QT tank. I will not be putting them in the DT for 8-10 weeks. If you are not treating the goby, it won't matter how long you wait because it will bring the ich back with it. My goby and mandarin were last to die before I started treating with hyposalinity, pulling them from the DT is not enough.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

The main tank needs to be fishless for 8 weeks to break the lifecycle of the parasites. IMO anything less will not cut it.

melosu58 said:
The main tank needs to be fishless for 8 weeks to break the lifecycle of the parasites. IMO anything less will not cut it.

I gave him one of the links you gave me melosu! I'm learning :)

Back
Top Bottom