Ick????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ivan_dalmatia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have about 35 fish in my tank, All of them are spotless but one and to no surprise it's a hippo!!!! It looks like ick but I'm not sure? I've had ick before and every fish had it! Now it's only Dori, what is it???

Your hippo tang is probably stressed. Looking at your stock list you have many many tangs in there. I think you may be wayyy overstocked.

I have been using the garlic stuff for about a year now, I premix all of the frozen food with the garlic and I refreeze it (Brine shrimp, Misys shrimp, krill, Clams, Green and red sea weed And a little bit of broccoli with spinach) And yeah I am way overstock but I just can't say bye to any!!!! Just too adorable. Do you think it's ick??

I'll try that, but I know that I have to treat Dori before it gets out of hand but do I have to treat all of the fish for ick??? man that's a pain in the a#%, the ick is gonna stick to my LR and corals, that means I would have to keep my fish away from all that for at least 6 weeks or???

If you want to be safe (and save all your fish) then yes, treat them all and leave the DT fallow for 6-8 weeks. It would be safe to say you wouldn't have this problem if your weren't so overstocked, if you rid your tank of ich I would consider re-homing some of the larger fish so it doesn't come back. Just my opinion for a happy, healthy tank...

Yeah, that looks way overstocked. The problem is that if it is Ich, its in the tank now and other fish can get it. Its got all sorts of hosts too, so its not going anywhere. That size with that many fish is going to be near impossible to treat properly. I don't see throwing that many fish in a QT and with all the corals, you can't hypo the DT. Try to maintain pristine water parameters (which has gotta be tough being so overstocked), keep the tank as stress-free as possible (again, near impossible when overstocked) and try to keep the rest well-fed and healthy so that they can possibly fight it off.

So I started the cupramine treatment after taking out about 250 pounds of live rock and all my corals, inverts and anything else I could find like red kelp......so much work it better be done with after this if not ill treat my self with copper!!!!!!

So you put your rocks and corals in another tank? That sounds like a huge effort! Keep us posted and remember to wait out the 6-8 weeks, would be awful if it came back and you had to do it all again...

Ya it only took 3 days a 55 gallon and a 20 gallon. My wife wants to kill me, all she can hear is water everywhere!
But I'm gonna keep these corals and inverts away for minimum 10 weeks!

Did you take all the sand out? I hope so because the copper tretment will bind to that sand. If you didn't you will need to remove and replace all the sand before adding back corals and inverts.

Oh really? I was thinking anything that could affect the rock could affect the sand also. I looked on their website and say they do address this question. Here is what it says.

Our Cupramine is the only copper based remedy of it's kind on the market as this technology is very unique to our company. This copper based remedy is complexed to an organic (amine), hence the name Cupramine. This complex is very stable in water, meaning it is the least likely of all the copper remedies to "stick" to a gravel bed or live rock.

It says it is the least likely to stick, but it does not say it won't. I dont want to cause you anymore trouble but I would hate for you to lose inverts and coral.

They won't go back in till my water tests 0, hopefully it won't leek out of the live rock unexpectedly??

Well I made up my mind I'm gonna need a bigger tank for when I'm done treating them and letting the LR sit with no host for 10 weeks, just to be on the safe side!!!
I'm looking at a 250 gallon. Should that be enough room for my fish, they are all pretty much babies!!! The biggest is Vlamingi Naso, maybe 5"???
Ooo And i tajnik that i lost a mandrin. :(

The Vlamingii Tang will not be the big one for long. They do get big though. Sweetlips get over 2.5' long and require a 500g minimum. If you still have most of those fish, I would shoot for a 300g and consider losing the Sweetlips at some point. The Vlamingii might be okay, but its pushing it for him.

Back
Top Bottom